Oh the life of a gamer. Who doesn’t have a childhood that involved playing video games well into the wee hours of the night? If you’re a serious gamer there are a variety of documentaries out there that tackle the history of video games, celebrate the classics like Street Fighter and the Atari, and even take a close look at the concepts behind fan favorite video games. This list of the best documentaries about video games has something for every kind of gamer.
What are the best documentaries about video games out there? See below and remember the good old days when the first batches of Nintendo’s and Sega systems came out. Back then, the graphics seemed absolutely amazing; now technology has shifted us into realistic graphics that we never imagined could be possible twenty years ago! The documentaries on this list look at many different aspects of the video game industry, including the history behind games and gaming systems, looking into the lives of serious gamers and covering different video game conventions and competitions.This list has the best video game documentaries, including: Thanks For Playing, Chinatown Fair: A Documentary, Rise of the Video Game and Second Skin. Vote for your favorite documentaries today and add any not included.
- Indie Game: The Movie is a 2012 documentary film by Canadian filmmakers James Swirsky and Lisanne Pajot. The film documents the struggles of independent game developers Edmund McMillen and Tommy ...more
- Named "Video Game Player of the Century" in 1999, Billy Mitchell sets a record score in "Donkey Kong" that many felt would never be broken. In 2003 Steve Wiebe, who has recently lost his job, learns ...more
- Through interviews with developers, publishers and consumers, filmmaker Jeremy Snead examines video game history and culture and how the games are consumed.
- King of Chinatown is a 1939 film directed by Nick Grinde.
Chinatown Fair: a Documentary
- Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade is a documentary film directed by Lincoln Ruchti about the golden age of video arcade games. The film premiered January 22, 2007 at the Sundance Film Festival and ...more
- Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters is a 2011 American documentary film that follows the lives of several gamers from around the country as they prepare to compete in the 2010 Classic Tetris World ...more
- Minecraft: The Story of Mojang is a 2012 documentary about the history of the company Mojang and its creation, Minecraft. Minecraft is an open-world game where players can craft, build and mine. The ...more
Into the Night With Jason Rohrer and Chris Crawford
- Get Lamp is a two-disc documentary about interactive fiction filmed by computer historian Jason Scott of textfiles.com. Scott conducted the interviews between February 2006 and February 2008, and the ...more
Thanks for Playing
- Gamer Revolution is a documentary film written and directed by Marc de Guerre and Ian Hannah.
Street Fighter Anniversary Film: I Am Street Fighter
Rise of the Video Game
All Your History Are Belong to Us
- Sonic the Hedgehog is a two-episode 1996 Japanese anime OVA series based on Sega's best-selling franchise Sonic the Hedgehog. The anime features Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman and a few ...more
Fight Night: the Melbourne Street Fighter Arcade Community Read
Fighting Dreams: the Rise of a Fighting Game Community
- Spencer Halpin's Moral Kombat is a 2009 documentary film, directed by Spencer Halpin, an American independent filmmaker. The title of the film is in part a reference to the Mortal Kombat series of ...more