This list has all the best dogs for people with allergies. These hypoallergenic dogs shed less (or not at all) and have less irritating dander; and while there's a great deal of disagreement over whether any dog can truly by fully hypoallergenic, many believe these dogs are better for those with allergies than other breeds. So if you're not a fan of those sneezes and itchy eyes when you're around pets, consider getting one of these top hypoallergenic dogs so you can still enjoy the love of a furry friend without the irritation.
To understand why some people are allergic to dogs, you have to look at the cause of the irritation. While allergies differ from person to person, most people are allergic to the dander of the dog, something given off by the dog's hair, skin, urine, and slobber. While it's impossible to eliminate a dog's skin, urine, and never-ending drool, the hair of these hypoallergenic dog breeds is what sets them apart as better for allergy sufferers. To eliminate the hair completely, many people with dog allergies might select hairless dog breeds, like the Chinese Crested, Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican hairless dog), and the Peruvian Hairless Dog.
But for those who aren't interested in a hairless dog, there are plenty of other options on this list of hypoallergenic dogs. If you're looking for large breed hypoallergenic dogs, poodles are especially praised for being one of the best dogs for allergies, as are poodle hybrids and some designer dog breeds, such as the labradoodle and cockapoo. Other large dog breeds allergy sufferers include the Samoyed, airedale terrier, Portuguese water dog or Irish water spaniel. For the best small hypoallergenic dogs, many flock to the shih tzu, Yorkshire terrier, Maltese, and Havanese.
While the jury may be out on whether or not any dog breeds are truly hypoallergenic, the dogs on this list are the best breeds for people with allergies and are the least likely to cause any irritation. They might not be the most popular dog breeds, but these shed less, have less dander, and are pretty dang adorable.
- 472135The Maltese (Italian: [malˈteːze]) is a small breed of dog in the Toy Group. It descends from... more
- 316103Poodles are a group of formal dog breeds, the Standard Poodle, Miniature Poodle and Toy... more
- 329116The Yorkshire Terrier is a small dog breed of terrier type, developed during the 19th century... more
- 22868A Cockapoo is a mixed-breed dog that is the cross between either Cocker Spaniel breeds... more
- 22066A Labradoodle () is a planned mating crossbreed dog created by crossing the Labrador retriever... more
- 454206The Jack Russell Terrier is a small terrier that has its origins in fox hunting in England. It... more
- 266102A Bichon Frise ( or ; from French: bichon à poil frisé, French pronunciation: [biʃɔ̃ fʁize],... more
- 17151The Australian Silky Terrier or simply Silky Terrier (depending on the breed registry) is a... more
- 18173The Miniature Schnauzer is a breed of small dog of the Schnauzer type that originated in... more
- 13869Havana (; Spanish: La Habana [la aˈβana] (listen)) is the capital city, largest city,... more
- 11756The Portuguese Water Dog is a breed of working dog as classified by the American Kennel Club.... more
- 13176The Samoyed ( SAM-ə-yed or sə-MOY-ed; Russian: Самое́дская соба́ка or Самое́д) is a breed of... more
- 10064The Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier (Irish: An Brocaire Buí) is a pure breed terrier originating... more
- 7745The Spanish Water Dog (perro de agua español) breed is used in Spain as a general purpose... more
- 8758The Border Terrier is a small, rough-coated breed of dog in the terrier group. Bred as a fox... more
- 7346The Airedale Terrier (often shortened to "Airedale"), also called Bingley Terrier and... more
- 8156A Schnauzer (German: [ˈʃnaʊtsɐ], plural Schnauzer, lit. translation "snouter") is a dog breed... more
- 294280A Shih Tzu (UK: , US: ; Chinese: 西施犬; pinyin: Xī Shī quǎn, literally "Xi Shi dog"), is a toy... more
- 6450The Great Dane is a German breed of domestic dog known for its giant size.The record holder... more
- 5136The Basenji is a breed of hunting dog. It was bred from stock that originated in central... more
- 7058Bernese Mountain Dog, Afghan, Portuguese Water Dog, Cairn Terrier, Alaskan Malamute... more
- 6758The Chinese Crested Dog is a hairless breed of dog. Like most hairless dog breeds, the Chinese... more
- 6153The Xoloitzcuintli (), or Xolo for short, is a hairless breed of dog, found in toy, miniature,... more
- 5549The Irish Water Spaniel (Irish: An Spáinnéar Uisce) is a breed of dog that is the largest and... more