This list has all the best dogs for people with allergies. These hypoallergenic dogs shed less (or not at all) and have less irritating dander; and while there's a great deal of disagreement over whether any dog can truly by fully hypoallergenic, many believe these dogs are better for those with allergies than other breeds. So if you're not a fan of those sneezes and itchy eyes when you're around pets, consider getting one of these top hypoallergenic dogs so you can still enjoy the love of a furry friend without the irritation.
To understand why some people are allergic to dogs, you have to look at the cause of the irritation. While allergies differ from person to person, most people are allergic to the dander of the dog, something given off by the dog's hair, skin, urine, and slobber. While it's impossible to eliminate a dog's skin, urine, and never-ending drool, the hair of these hypoallergenic dog breeds is what sets them apart as better for allergy sufferers. To eliminate the hair completely, many people with dog allergies might select hairless dog breeds, like the Chinese Crested, Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican hairless dog), and the Peruvian Hairless Dog.
But for those who aren't interested in a hairless dog, there are plenty of other options on this list of hypoallergenic dogs. If you're looking for large breed hypoallergenic dogs, poodles are especially praised for being one of the best dogs for allergies, as are poodle hybrids and some designer dog breeds, such as the labradoodle and cockapoo. Other large dog breeds allergy sufferers include the Samoyed, airedale terrier, Portuguese water dog or Irish water spaniel. For the best small hypoallergenic dogs, many flock to the shih tzu, Yorkshire terrier, Maltese, and Havanese.
While the jury may be out on whether or not any dog breeds are truly hypoallergenic, the dogs on this list are the best breeds for people with allergies and are the least likely to cause any irritation. They might not be the most popular dog breeds, but these shed less, have less dander, and are pretty dang adorable.
- 1The Maltese (Italian: [malˈteːze]) is a small breed of dog in the Toy Group. It descends from... more on Wikipedia506146
- 2Poodles are a group of formal dog breeds, the Standard Poodle, Miniature Poodle and Toy... more on Wikipedia336109
- 3The Yorkshire Terrier is a small dog breed of terrier type, developed during the 19th century... more on Wikipedia353124
- 4A Cockapoo is a mixed-breed dog that is the cross between either Cocker Spaniel breeds... more on Wikipedia24271
- 5A Shih Tzu (UK: , US: ; Chinese: 西施犬; pinyin: Xī Shī quǎn, literally "Xi Shi dog"), is a toy... more on Wikipedia312112
- 6A Labradoodle () is a planned mating crossbreed dog created by crossing the Labrador retriever... more on Wikipedia23069
- 7The Jack Russell Terrier is a small terrier that has its origins in fox hunting in England. It... more on Wikipedia494223
- 8A Bichon Frise ( or ; from French: bichon à poil frisé, French pronunciation: [biʃɔ̃ fʁize],... more on Wikipedia285107
- 9The Miniature Schnauzer is a breed of small dog of the Schnauzer type that originated in... more on Wikipedia19776
- 10Havana (; Spanish: La Habana [la aˈβana] (listen)) is the capital city, largest city,... more on Wikipedia14874
- 11The Portuguese Water Dog is a breed of working dog as classified by the American Kennel Club.... more on Wikipedia12559
- 12The Samoyed ( SAM-ə-yed or sə-MOY-ed; Russian: Самое́дская соба́ка or Самое́д) is a breed of... more on Wikipedia14283
- 13The West Highland White Terrier, commonly known as the Westie, is a breed of dog from Scotland... more on Wikipedia9354
- 14The Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier (Irish: An Brocaire Buí) is a pure breed terrier originating... more on Wikipedia10668
- 15The Spanish Water Dog (perro de agua español) breed is used in Spain as a general purpose... more on Wikipedia8449
- 16The Border Terrier is a small, rough-coated breed of dog in the terrier group. Bred as a fox... more on Wikipedia9463
- 17A Schnauzer (German: [ˈʃnaʊtsɐ], plural Schnauzer, lit. translation "snouter") is a dog breed... more on Wikipedia8860
- 18The Airedale Terrier (often shortened to "Airedale"), also called Bingley Terrier and... more on Wikipedia7850
- 19The Great Dane is a German breed of domestic dog known for its giant size.The record holder... more on Wikipedia7154
- 20The Basenji is a breed of hunting dog. It was bred from stock that originated in central... more on Wikipedia5639
- 21Bernese Mountain Dog, Afghan, Portuguese Water Dog, Cairn Terrier, Alaskan Malamute7762
Wire Hair Dachshund
- 23The Chinese Crested Dog is a hairless breed of dog. Like most hairless dog breeds, the Chinese... more on Wikipedia7362
- 24The Australian Silky Terrier or simply Silky Terrier (depending on the breed registry) is a... more on Wikipedia6554
- 25The Xoloitzcuintli (), or Xolo for short, is a hairless breed of dog, found in toy, miniature,... more on Wikipedia6757