Backpacking through Europe is a right of passage--and an adventure--that many young adults embark upon. When you're backpacking Europe, there are many different countries, cities, and cultures to explore. Going backpacking in Europe is a great way to burst out of your comfort zone and make important personal discoveries. One of the best ways to become more aware of the world around you is to backpack Europe. Too often, people get stuck in the comfort of their everyday lives. They become focused solely on what is immediately near them, and completely forget about the whole wide world, waiting for them just outside of their backyards. Be sure to vote for your favorite European city to backpack, and feel free to add any countries we may have left out!
The historically rich continent of Europe has so many great cities to see and learn from. You may wonder, where should I begin my travels? Visiting a variety of European cities can help give you a better idea of how the rest of the world lives. Each new place that you visit will give you a unique, intangible gift that you can carry with you for the rest of your life.
Backpacking through Europe is a right of passage--and an adventure--that many young adults embark upon. When you're backpacking Europe, there are many different countries, cities, and cultures to explore. Going backpacking in Europe is a great way to burst out of your comfort zone and make important personal discoveries. One of the best ways to become more aware of the world around you is to backpack Europe. Too often, people get stuck in the comfort of their everyday lives. They become focused solely on what is immediately near them, and completely forget about the whole wide world, waiting for them just outside of their backyards.
Be sure to vote for your favorite European city to backpack, and feel free to add any countries we may have left out!
- London is located in England, and was originally founded by Roman citizens looking to expand their territory. It is a leading global power house in arts, commerce, education, entertainment, fashion, finance, healthcare, media, professional services, research, development, tourism, and transport. Famous landmarks like the London Eye, Big Ben, the Tower of London, and St. Paul's Cathedral are fun, historic places to visit on your backpacking adventure.
- Berlin is Germany's capital, as well as its largest city. It is known for being one of the leaders in LGBT-friendly culture, as well as for their cuisine, education, healthcare, and innovative technology.
- Lisbon is the capital and largest city of Portugal, and the 11th most populated urban area in the European Union. It is considered to be a global city because of its importance in finance, commerce, media, entertainment, arts, international trade, education, and tourism.
- Prague is the capital city of the Czech Republic. It was founded during the Gothic and Renaissance eras, and was the seat for two Holy Roman Emperors. Because Prague suffered very little damage during WWII, the original architecture has been preserved in many of their most popular buildings.
- Amsterdam is the Dutch capital in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The city is known for their progressive thinking, their active bicycling culture, and their beautiful canals and architecture.
- Ah, Paris. The City of Love. Located in France, and well-known for it's art museums, macarons, and stinky, delicious cheeses, Paris is a must-visit for anyone backpacking in Europe. There are tons of amazing sights to see, like the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Notre Dame, and the Pont des Art bridge where lovers write their names on locks and throw the keys into the Seine River.
- Barcelona is the capital city of the Catalonian community in Spain. There are many amazing sites to see in Barcelona, including Antoni Gaudì's Sagrada Famìlia, and the Museu Picasso.
- Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland. It is best known for being the place where J.K. Rowling first sat down to pen Harry Potter in a little coffee shop called the Elephant House.
- Budapest is the capital and largest city of Hungary. It was originally settled by the Celts in 1 A.D., and is now one of the top cities in the world for music, film, theatre, dance, and visual art. Budapest is known best by tourists for their Rain Pubs, which each have their own artistic ambience, and different interesting accommodations, like concerts, film screenings, and live performances.
- Munich is the capital and largest city in the state of Bavaria, located in Germany. It is home to the Hofbräuhaus, the most famous beer hall in the world, as well as Oktoberfest.
- Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark, as well as the cultural, economical, and governmental centre of the country.
KievKiev is the capital and largest city of Ukraine. It is an important industrial, scientific, educational, and cultural centre of Eastern Europe.
- Located on the Neva River in Russia, St. Petersburg is lauded as the historical capital and second largest city. It is home to the Hermitage museum, the Mariinsky Theater, and many famous authors, such as Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoyevsky.
- Venice, Italy is made up of 118 small islands separated by canals. It is known for being one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world. Venice is home to many great works of art, St. Mark's Basilica, and the Piazza San Marco.
- Madrid is the capital and largest city of Spain. Although Madrid is very modern, it has managed to preserve the original feel and look of its many historic neighborhoods and streets. It is known for the Bluen Retiro Park, the La Reigna Sofìa museum, the Prado museum, and the Cibeles Palace and Fountain.
- Vienna is known as the City of Music, and for good reason. Not only is it the capital of Austria, it is also the birthplace of Franz Schubert and Johann Strauss. Other famous musicians like Mozart, Beethoven, and Haydn eventually settled here to create beautiful tunes. Vienna is also known for their cuisine, museums, architecture, charitable organiations.
- Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia, and is home to around 500,000 people. It is the political, economical, and cultural centre of Slovakia.
- Florence is located in Tuscany, Italy, and is considered the birthplace of the Renaissance. It is ranked as one of the top 50 fashion capitals of the world, and is well-known for its beautiful art museums, galleries, and Renaissance monuments.
- Athens, Greece, is one of the world's oldest cities, and is known as the birthplace of democracy. It is home to the original Olympic Games, and was the first place to employ a center for the arts, education, and philosophical study. Athens is one of the world's leaders in finance, commerce, media, entertainment, arts, international trade, culture, education, and tourism.
- Rome is the capital of Italy, located in the region of Lanzio. Legend has it that Rome was founded by two brothers, Romulus and Remus, who were suckled by a she-wolf and raised to build the city. Rome's history spans a time period of over 14,000 years, and continues to be one of the most culturally significant cities of all time. They are known for their achievements in sports, art, film, and, of course, pizza. The statues and architecture that fill the city are incredibly beautiful, and help shed light on what it was like to live in ancient Rome.
- Bucharest is located in Romania, and is known for being the cultural, financial, and industrial centre of the country. It is home to the largest Parliament building in the world, as well as beautiful architecture, art museums, and visual and performing arts.
- Moscow is the capital city and most populous federal subject of Russia. It is home to amazing architectural achievements, such as the Ostankino Tower (the tallest free-standing structure in Europe), Mercury City Tower (the tallest skyscraper in Europe) and the Moscow International Business Center.
TuscanyTuscany is a region in central Italy known for its landscapes, traditions, history, artistic legacy, and influence on high culture.