A votable list of the all-time best fantasy book series, ranked by readers of fantasy fiction. Of fantasy books, readers can expect an intricately-created imaginary world with its own culture, history and rules of engagement. The setting of most popular fantasy book series is internally consistent or self-coherent, where inspiration from mythology or folklore remains a consistent theme.
Most authors of the top fantasy books use magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme, or setting. In the structure of a good fantasy book, the fantastical element of the story can be anywhere: the story may occur entirely in a fantasy world (like J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series) or fantastic elements like magic can exist alongside an apparently real world setting (as in the seven Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling). Fantasy follows rules of its own making, but the great fantasy books are consistent with the rules that they lay out for themselves. In the best fantasy books, the reader suspends disbelief and loses himself in the imaginary world of the book.
Some of the fantasy book series included in this list are of the grand epic fantasy genre, some are more character-driven fantasy or coming of age tales, some may be simply fantasy that's part of a series. Vote up your favorites to determine the best fantasy series of all time. And if we missed any epic tales you love, be sure to add them to this list of the best fantasy book series. Then, check out the best new fantasy books - many the start of series that may soon be new favorites.
- 6,8541,888The Lord of the Rings is an epic high-fantasy novel written by English author J. R. R.... more
- 4,8532,541ie, Game of ThronesA Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by the American novelist and... more
- 2,2231,101The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance
- 1,678857The Dresden Files is a series of contemporary fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher.... more
- 1,200307Dune is a 1965 epic science fiction novel by Frank Herbert. It won the Hugo Award in 1966, and... more
- 4,0972,612The Chronicles of Narnia is a series of seven high fantasy novels by C. S. Lewis.
- 1,422886Assassin's Apprentice is the first novel in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. It was her first... more
- 664226The Silmarillion is a collection of J. R. R. Tolkien's mythopoeic works, edited and published... more
- 1,8681,220The Belgariad is a five-book fantasy epic written by David Eddings, following the picaresque... more
- 2,3281,582The Name of the Wind is a fantasy novel by Patrick Rothfuss, the first book in a series called... more
- 1,9581,110The Hunger Games is a 2008 science fiction novel by the American writer Suzanne Collins. It is... more
- 1,7851,218The Original Shannara Trilogy consists of the first three Shannara novels by Terry Brooks.... more
- 1,131740The Malloreon is a five-part fantasy book series written by David Eddings, which follows The... more
- 802440The Once and Future King is an Arthurian fantasy novel written by T. H. White. It was first... more
- 2,2821,683The Dark Tower is the seventh novel in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, published by Grant on... more