We're ranking the best Father John Misty albums of all time. One of the top indie folk artists ever, the discography of Father John Misty, the alter ego of performer Josh Tillman, has produced popular independent music tracks like "Chateau Lobby #4 (In C for Two Virgins)" and "Mr. Tillman." After releasing eight albums under his given name (as J. Tillman), he took up the mantle of Father John Misty in 2012 and has achieved top 10 success on the U.S. charts.
Though the Father John Misty debut album Fear Fun peaked at No. 123 in the U.S., his 2015 release, I Love You, Honeybear, jumped all the way up to No. 17 before Pure Comedy finally reached No. 10 in 2017. His most recent release was God's Favorite Customer in 2018. Vote up the best Father John Misty albums, and vote down the ones that were disappointing.
1. Pure Comedy
2. Total Entertainment Forever
3. Things It Would Have Been Helpful to Know Before the Revolution
4. Ballad of the Dying Man
6. Leaving LA
7. A Bigger Paper Bag
8. When the God of Love Returns There'll Be Hell to Pay
10. Two Wildly Different Perspectives
11. The Memo
12. So I'm Growing Old on Magic Mountain
13. In Twenty Years or So
Pitchfork score: 7.6245Love this album?
1. I Love You, Honeybear
2. Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)
3. True Affection
4. The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt.
5. When You're Smiling and Astride Me
6. Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow
7. Strange Encounter
8. The Ideal Husband
9. Bored in the USA
10. Holy Sh*t
11. I Went to the Store One Day
Pitchfork score: 8.8225Love this album?
1. Funtimes in Babylon
2. Nancy from Now On
3. Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
4. I'm Writing a Novel
5. O I Long to Feel Your Arms Around Me
6. Misty's Nightmares 1 & 2
7. Only Son of the Ladiesman
8. This Is Sally Hatchet
9. Well, You Can Do It Without Me
10. Now I'm Learning to Love the War
11. Tee Pees 1–12
12. Everyman Needs a Companion
Pitchfork score: 7.3236Love this album?
1. Hangout at the Gallows (or "You've the Answer")
2. Mr. Tillman (or "Bowery")
3. Just Dumb Enough to Try
4. Date Night
5. Please Don't Die
6. The Palace (or "I Love You But No, You're Not")
7. Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All
8. God's Favorite Customer
9. The Songwriter
10. We're Only People (And There's Not Much Anyone Can Do About That)
Pitchfork score: 8.5146Love this album?