What are the very best climbing movies? This is a list of them ranked from best to worst by user votes. The best climbing movies come in all shapes and sizes. Some great mountain climbing movies are feature films and other rock climbing movies are documentaries. A few of the best movies about climbing have even been nominated for the Academy Awards.
What films will you find on this best climbing movies list? 127 Hours, directed by Danny Boyle, was a beautiful film which showcased the strength of one climber's will to live. James Franco was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of the real-life climber, Aron Ralston. Everest, staring Jake Gyllenhall, is another good climbing movie.
If you like action in your rock climbing movies, pop on Sylvester Stallone's 1993 film, Cliffhanger. Other popular movies that appear on this top climbing movies list include Touching the Void, Vertical Limit and The Eiger Sanction.Which mountain climbing movie is your favorite? Give the best films a thumbs up!
- The life of Canadian mountain climber Marc-André Leclerc, who lives an elusive and nomadic lifestyle while attempting extremely difficult climbs. Among these is an expedition to Patagonia that pushes ...more
- Alex Honnold completes the first free solo climb of famed El Capitan's 3,000-foot vertical rock face at Yosemite National Park.
- In 1985, two young climbers, Joe Simpson (Brendan Mackey) and Simon Yates (Nicholas Aaron), set out to be the first to reach the summit of the Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. They succeed, and ...more
- Meru is a 2015 American climbing documentary film directed by Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi. Three elite climbers fight through feelings of obsession and loss as they struggle to climb the ...more
- Filmmaker Nick Ryan uses footage, interviews and re-enactments to piece together events in August 2008 that resulted in the deaths of 11 people on Mount Everest.
- The Dawn Walls is a 2017 American documentary film directed by Josh Lowell and Peter Mortimer. Legendary free climber Tommy Caldwell tries to get over heartbreak by scaling the Dawn Wall of El ...more
- Fearless Nepali mountaineer Nimsdai Purja embarks on a seemingly impossible quest to summit all 14 of the world's 8,000-meter peaks in seven months.
- North Face is a 2008 German historical fiction film directed by Philipp Stölzl and starring Benno Fürmann, Florian Lukas, Johanna Wokalek, and Ulrich Tukur. Based on a famous 1936 attempt to climb ...more
- K2 is a 1991 motion picture loosely based on the story of two friends' ascent of the second-highest mountain on Earth, K2. The story is based on a play written by Patrick Meyers and presented as a ...more
- Former government assassin Jonathan Hemlock (Clint Eastwood) now devotes his time to teaching and collecting paintings, but his quiet life is interrupted when he is persuaded by his former employers ...more
- The Wildest Dream is a 2010 documentary adventure biography film written by Richard Bedser, Mark Halliley and Kevin Maher and directed by Anthony Geffen.
- Stranded after a plane crash in the Andes mountains, individual members of Uruguay's rugby team respond differently. Group leader Nando (Ethan Hawke) tries to keep everyone's spirits up; medical ...more
- Fine Lines is a 2019 American documentary film directed by Dina Khreino. An introspective journey on the lessons life has taught 20 legends of the vertical world. At times brutally honest, other ...more
- The Beckoning Silence is a 2007 British television film that follows and retraces the unsuccessful attempt to scale the north face of the Eiger led by Toni Kurz in 1936. The film features climber Joe ...more
- Everest is a 2015 biographical adventure film directed by Baltasar Kormákur, based on the memoir by Beck Weathers. The story of New Zealand's Robert "Rob" Edwin Hall (Jason Clarke), who on May 10, ...more
- Japanese photo reporter Fukamachi accidentally comes across a camera that may well have belonged to Mallory, a famous mountaineer who disappeared in 1924. However, a stranger comes along and takes ...more
- The Mountain is a 1956 dramatic film starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner. The supporting cast included Claire Trevor, Richard Arlen, William Demarest, and Anna Kashfi. It is based on La neige en ...more
- Dying for Everest is a 2007 American documentary film directed by Richard Dennison. On 15 May, 2006, double amputee Mark Inglis reached the summit of Mt Everest. It was a remarkable achievement and ...more
- "Everest" is the dramatic true story of a team of climbers who found hope, strength and triumph in the wake of tragedy. Their successful ascent of Mount Everest just days after fellow mountaineers ...more
- Into Thin Air: Death on Everest is a made-for-TV movie based on the book Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. The film is directed by Robert Markowitz and written by Robert J. Avrech. The film tells the ...more
- "Two brothers. One mountain. Their destiny. The brothers Reinhold and Guenther Messner had a childhood dream of one day climbing the Nanga Parbat, the over 8,000 meter “naked mountain” in the ...more
- Beyond the Edge is a 2013 New Zealand 3D docudrama about Sir Edmund Hillary's historical ascent of Mount Everest in 1953. As well as featuring dramatised recreations shot on location on Everest and ...more
- Outdoor thriller in which a former mountain rescuer is pitted against a group of criminals who have lost their $100 million stash during a plane crash in the Rocky Mountains. After being persuaded to ...more
- Piker's Peak is a Warner Bros. Looney Tunes animated short directed by Friz Freleng. It was originally released on May 25, 1957. The title is a pun on Pike's Peak.
- Into Thin Air is a 1985 film directed by Roger Young.