Florida has played a vital role in the formation of many musical genres over the years. Several notable country stars were born or raised in the Sunshine State. Jake Owen, who had an album reach the number one slot on the Billboard 200, was born in Winter Haven. Mel Tillis, a prominent country star of the 20th century, came from Florida as well as his daughter, Pam Tillis. There is just something about growing up in a state with a lot of sunshine that produces a lot of musical talent. These artists barely scratch the surface of all the most famous country singers from Florida out there.
People from all over the United States travel to Florida each year to show their appreciation for country music by attending the Tortuga Music Festival. The biggest names in country music have played at this event, which takes place every year in Fort Lauderdale. There's obviously a big appreciation for country in Florida, and it's a real treat for fans to see artists play a venue in the state they grew up in.
There are plenty of popular Florida country singers to choose from. Which ones do you like best? Let your opinion be known and vote for your favorite acts below.
- Aaron Dupree Tippin (born July 3, 1958) is an American country music artist and record producer. Initially a songwriter for Acuff-Rose Music, he gained a recording contract with RCA Nashville in ...more
- John David Anderson (born December 13, 1954 in Apopka, Florida) is an American country musician with a successful career that has lasted more than 30 years. Starting in 1977 with the release of his ...more
- Lonnie Melvin Tillis (August 8, 1932 – November 19, 2017) was an American country music singer and songwriter. Although he recorded songs since the late 1950s, his biggest success occurred in the ...more
- Pamela Yvonne Tillis (born July 24, 1957) is an American country music singer-songwriter and actress. She is the daughter of country music singer Mel Tillis. Originally a demo singer in Nashville, ...more
- Hoyt Wayne Axton (March 25, 1938 – October 26, 1999) was an American folk music singer-songwriter, guitarist, and a film and television actor. He became prominent in the early-1960s, establishing ...more
- Dan Easton Corbin (born April 12, 1982) is an American country music singer. He signed to Mercury Records Nashville in 2009 and released his self-titled debut album in March 2010, featuring the two ...more
- Joshua Ryan Owen (born August 28, 1981), known professionally as Jake Owen, is an American country music singer and songwriter. Signed to RCA Nashville in 2006, he released his debut studio album, ...more
- Chase Rice (born September 19, 1985) is an American country music singer, songwriter, and reality television personality. Rice is also a former college football linebacker for the University of North ...more
- Malinda Gayle McCready (November 30, 1975 – February 17, 2013) was an American country music singer. Active from 1995 until her death in 2013, she recorded a total of five studio albums. Her debut ...more
- Robert L. Lord (January 6, 1934 – February 16, 2008), better known as Bobby Lord, was an American country music artist popular in the 1950s and 1960s. ...more
- Ottis Dewey Whitman Jr. (January 20, 1923 – June 19, 2013), professionally known by the stage name Slim Whitman, was an American country music, western music and folk music artist singer-songwriter ...more
- James Wayne Stafford (born January 16, 1944) is an American comedian, musician, and singer-songwriter. While prominent in the 1970s for his recordings "Spiders & Snakes", "Swamp Witch", "Under The ...more
- Brian Kelley is a singer-songwriter.
- Rita Coolidge (born May 1, 1945) is an American recording artist. During the 1970s and 1980s, her songs were on Billboard magazine's pop, country, adult contemporary, and jazz charts, and she won two ...more
- Chad Brock (born July 31, 1963) is an American country music singer and disc jockey. Before beginning his musical career in the late 1990s, he was a professional wrestler in World Championship ...more
- William Harold Dean Jr. (born April 2, 1962) is an American country music singer and songwriter. He first gained national attention after appearing on the television talent competition Star Search. ...more
- Bobby Goldsboro (born January 18, 1941) is an American pop and country singer-songwriter. He had a string of pop and country hits in the 1960s and 1970s, including his signature No. 1 hit "Honey", ...more
- James Victor Chesnutt (November 12, 1964 – December 25, 2009) was an American singer-songwriter from Athens, Georgia. His first album, Little, was released in 1990, but his breakthrough to commercial ...more
- Lari Michele White Cannon (; May 13, 1965 – January 23, 2018) was an American country music artist and actress. She first gained national attention in 1988 as a winner on You Can Be a Star, a talent ...more
- Wilma Burgess (born Wilma Charlene Burgess; June 11, 1939 – August 26, 2003) was an American country music singer. She rose to fame in the mid-1960s and charted fifteen singles on the Billboard C&W ...more
- Vassar Carlton Clements (April 25, 1928 – August 16, 2005) was a Grammy Award-winning American jazz, swing, and bluegrass fiddler. Clements has been dubbed the Father of Hillbilly Jazz, an ...more
- Thad Aaron Cockrell is an American singer-songwriter. He has released three solo albums, along with a collaborative album with Caitlin Cary. Cockrell, who often writes emotional songs, is frequently ...more
- Cassadee Blake Pope (born August 28, 1989) is an American singer, songwriter, and musician. Pope was the lead vocalist of the rock band Hey Monday (on hiatus as of December 2011), with whom she ...more
- Margo Smith (born Betty Lou Miller; April 9, 1942, Dayton, Ohio) is an American country music singer. In the 1970s, she was a popular female country vocalist, acquiring two No. 1 hits on the country ...more
- Teresa Fay Gibbs (born June 15, 1954) is an American country music artist who is blind. Between 1980 and 2017 she has recorded eleven studio albums, including four for MCA Records and one for Warner ...more