List of the best food documentaries, as ranked by documentary and food fans. Documentaries often take people inside a world that would otherwise be unavailable to the viewer. These films can sometimes be disturbing because they can show a darker side of an industry or world that we never thought about before. That’s what makes food documentaries so fascinating and tough to take all at once. Everybody eats and, for many, food is an entire lifestyle. So films that take a sneak peek into the behind the scenes world of the food industry are often some of the most thought provoking movies becausethey touch what we care about most.
What are the best food documentaries to watch? This list offers a wide selection of movies made about many different aspects of the food industry. Movies like Super Size Me and Fat Head take polar opposite views on the fast food industry. Some of the films on this list discuss the process of making food, while others explore the exploitation of foreign farmers.
The movies on this list are perfect for any documentary or food enthusiast. Whether you want a lighthearted look at the food industry or something a bit deeper, this list has everything.
- 12915How much do we know about the food we buy at our local supermarkets and serve to our families?... more
Directed by: Kurt Engfehr, Joe CrossFat, Sick & Nearly Dead is a 2010 American documentary film directed by Joe Cross and Kurt... more
- Forks Over Knives is a 2011 American documentary film directed by American independent... more
- 418Food Matters is a 2008 documentary film about nutrition. The film presents the thesis that a... more
Directed by: Morgan Spurlock, Mira KingSuper Size Me is a 2004 American documentary film directed by Morgan Spurlock. The film... more
Directed by: Aaron WoolfKing Corn is a documentary film released in October 2007 that follows college friends Ian... more
Directed by: Tom NaughtonFat Head is a 2009 American documentary film directed by and starring Tom Naughton. The film... more
- The Future of Food is a 2004 American documentary film which describes an investigation into... more
- Blue Gold: World Water Wars is a 2008 documentary film by Sam Bozzo, based on the book Blue... more
- Our Daily Bread is a 2005 documentary film directed, co-produced, and with cinematography by... more
Directed by: Shaun MonsonEarthlings is a 2005 American documentary film about humanity's use of other animals as pets,... more
Food EvolutionDr. Neil deGrasse Tyson
Directed by: Scott Hamilton KennedyNarrated by science personality Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, this documentary explores the claim...
- The Gerson Miracle examines many of the elements of the Gerson Therapy, explaining why we are... more
Directed by: Morgan SpurlockSuper Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! is a 2017 American documentary film (2019 US theatrical... more
Directed by: Steven GreenstreetObesity is fast becoming the single greatest killer of Americans, causing some experts to... more
- The Price of Sugar is a 2007 Uncommon Productions film directed by Bill Haney and produced by... more
Directed by: Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir StefanovHoneyland is a 2019 Republic of Macedonia documentary film directed by Tamara Kotevska and... more
- The Gleaners and I is a 2000 French documentary film by Agnès Varda that features various... more
Directed by: Les BlankGarlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers is a documentary film about garlic directed by Les Blank. In... more
Directed by: Les Blank, Gina LeibrechtAll in This Tea is a 2007 documentary film co-directed by Les Blank and Gina Leibrecht, about... more
Directed by: Stephanie BlackLife and Debt is a 2001 American documentary film directed by Stephanie Black. It examines the... more
- The Real Dirt on Farmer John is a 2005 documentary film directed by Taggart Siegel about the... more
Directed by: Scott Hamilton KennedyThe Garden is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Scott Hamilton Kennedy. It tells... more