The best documentaries about food and food science can make you hungry for delicious meals and cool new facts. The best food and cooking documentary series ever shown on television are more than just food travel shows with some extra facts thrown in. If you’ve been looking for the best food documentaries to add some deliciousness to your TV nights, this list of the best food and food science documentary series of all time will help you figure out what needs to go into your queue.
From molecules to the mind, how we create and interact with the stuff that sustains life seems straightforward but can get as complex as you want to make it. If you're curious about the human element, check out interviews with chefs on series such as The Mind of a Chef and Chef's Table. If a broader sense of culture is what you want, look to documentaries that blend recipes and travel while sharing and examining the history of a food or technique, such as Ugly Delicious and Good Eats.
Which shows do the best job sharing the science, culture, and history of food? Vote up the best food documentary shows and add any documentary series about food that are missing.
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYGood Eats is a former television cooking show, created and hosted by Alton Brown, which aired in North America on Food Network Cooking Channel. Likened to television science educators Mr. Wizard and Bill Nye, Brown explores the science and technique behind the cooking, the history of different foods, and the advantages of different kinds of cooking equipment. The show tends to focus on familiar dishes that can easily be made at home, and also features segments on choosing the right appliances, and getting the most out of inexpensive, multi-purpose tools. Each episode of Good Eats has a distinct theme, which is typically an ingredient or a certain cooking technique, but may also be a more... more
- Actors: Alton Brown, Vickie Eng, Deb Duchon
- Premiered: July 7, 1999
- Rotten (Netflix, 2018) is a documentary series that dives deep into the food production underworld to expose the corruption, waste, and real dangers behind your everyday eating habits.... more
- Actors: Gudrun Beckh, Susan Berfield, Andrew Boutros
- Premiered: 2018
- Fresh, Fried & Crispy (Netflix, 2021) is an American reality series. Hosted by Daym Drops, he drops in on America's smokin' hot spots for the best, freshest takes on fried food.... more
- Actors: Daym Drops
- Premiered: 2021
- Photo: user uploaded imageSalt Fat Acid Heat is an American documentary cooking television miniseries based on the book of the same name by Samin Nosrat. The show and book's title comes from Nosrat's proposed four elements of successful cooking: salt, fat, acid, and heat - each episode of the four part limited series examines a particular element.... more
- Actors: Samin Nosrat
- Premiered: 2018