The first Netflix German series became one of the most popular shows on the streamer and the options have only expanded from there. German shows on Netflix include everything from stories set in the future (Tribes of Europa) to the Roman Empire (Barbarians) . If you've been on the hunt for more good German shows, this list ranks the best German Netflix shows, making it easier to find what you're looking for.
Not only was Dark the first German Netflix series but it was deeply praised for how it handled its complex storyline. The sci-fi thriller time-hops as conspiracies weave and unravel, while a critically acclaimed soundtrack helped brace the labyrinthine story as it stretched between 2019, 1986, 1953, and even 2052. Other German thrillers on Netflix include Biohackers and The Billion Dollar Code, while series like How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) and The Last Word inject some comedy into the selection.
Whatever your favorite type of German shows, you can find them on Netflix. Check out what German shows have aired on Netflix and vote up the best.
Check out other specific non-English language Netflix shows:
- Babylon Berlin (Netflix, 2018) is a German period drama television series based on the novels by Volker Kutscher. In 1921 during the Weimar Republic, police inspector Gereon Rath (Volker Bruch) transfer to Berlin where he meets aspiring detective Charlotte Ritter (Liv Lisa Fries).
- Actors: Volker Bruch, Liv Lisa Fries, Peter Kurth, Matthias Brandt, Leonie Benesch
- Premiered: October 13, 2017
- 2The disappearance of two young children exposes the fractured relationships among four families.
- Actors: Oliver Masucci, Karoline Eichhorn, Jördis Triebel, Louis Hofmann, Maja Schöne
- Premiered: December 1, 2017
- Three people's fates are interwoven in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 A.D.
- Actors: Laurence Rupp, Attila C. Arpa, David Schütter, Bernhard Schütz, Sergej Onopko
- Premiered: October 23, 2020
- A nerdy teen starts selling drugs online -- and he becomes one of Europe's biggest dealers.
- Actors: Danilo Kamperidis, Bjarne Mädel, Maximilian Mundt, Anna Lena Klenke, Damian Hardung
- Premiered: May 31, 2019