The Golden Age of Hollywood began at the end of the silent era in American cinema in the later part of the 1920s and lasted all the way through to the 1960s. The movies produced in the Golden Age were classic black and white films that have stood the test of time as being the greatest in the history of movies! Warner Brothers, Twentieth Century Fox and Paramount were all introduced during this key time in movie history, and some of Hollywood’s greatest actors and actresses were also introduced, including Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Spencer Tracy and John Wayne.
This era also resulted in some of the best horror movies. The movies on this list are still considered some of the best in the industry, and no matter what kind of horror you're looking for, you're sure to find it.
This list has the best horror movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood, including: Freaks, The Wolf Man, Psycho, Dracula, Night of the Living Dead, and King Kong.
Vote for your favorite horror flick below, or add any of your favorites from the Golden Age that aren't already on the list.
- 3541The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a 1920 German silent horror film, directed by Robert Wiene and... more
- 3541The Cat and the Canary is an American silent horror film adaptation of John Willard's 1922... more
- 3440Cry of the Werewolf, also known as Daughter of the Werewolf, is a 1944 film starring Nina... more
- 3542House of Dracula is an American horror film released by Universal Pictures Company in 1945. It... more
- 3650Der Golem is a 1915 silent horror film written and directed by Paul Wegener and Henrik Galeen.... more
- 3043Cat People is a 1942 horror film produced by Val Lewton and directed by Jacques Tourneur.... more
- 2645The Uninvited is a 1944 American supernatural mystery/romance directed by Lewis Allen in his... more
- 2645Mystery of the Wax Museum is a 1933 American mystery horror-thriller film released by Warner... more
- 1936Dracula's Daughter is a 1936 American vampire horror film produced by Universal Studios, a... more
- 2952Flesh and Fantasy is a 1943 American anthology film directed by Julien Duvivier, starring... more
- 1552This film is a British portmanteau horror film made by Ealing Studios; the individual stories... more
- 1254The Seventh Victim is a 1943 horror and film noir starring Tom Conway, Jean Brooks, Isabel... more