When it comes to alternative music, the years 2000–2009 undeniably mark a golden age. That decade saw the rise of major acts including Radiohead, Wilco, and Coldplay, and more widespread celebration of music that fell outside the realm of pop radio. All of those bands, and many more alternative groups, were nominees or winners of the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. Plenty of these best 2000s album nominees are still played today.
Which LP should top this list of the best alternative albums of the 2000s? The White Stripes dominated the Grammys in the '00s, taking home the Best Alternative Album Award on three occasions: in 2004 for Elephant, 2006 for Get Behind Me Satan, and in 2008 for Icky Thump. Arcade Fire was on the radar of Grammy voters ever since their debut album, Funeral, received a nomination in 2006 – although they wouldn't win a Grammy until 2011. Other beloved releases featured on this list of Grammy nominated 2000s albums include Plans by Death Cab for Cutie and The Flaming Lips' Fight Test.It's up to you to determine which album deserves the number one spot on the list. Vote your favorites up to the top.
- RadioheadWon in 2009.
- BjörkNominated in 2002.
- Arcade FireNominated in 2008.
- The White StripesWon in 2004.
- RadioheadWon in 2001.
- Fiona AppleNominated in 2001.
- Arctic MonkeysNominated in 2007.
- BjörkNominated in 2008.
- Franz FerdinandNominated in 2005.
- Arcade FireNominated in 2006.
- ColdplayWon in 2003.
- RadioheadNominated in 2002.
- Nine Inch NailsNominated in 2000.
- Yeah Yeah YeahsNominated in 2004.
- The White StripesWon in 2006.
- ColdplayWon in 2002.
- BjörkNominated in 2005.
- The White StripesWon in 2008.
- The CureNominated in 2001.
- MobyNominated in 2000.
- Gnarls BarkleyWon in 2007.
- RadioheadNominated in 2004.
Cruel SmileElvis Costello and the ImpostersNominated in 2003.
MutationsBeck HansenWon in 2000.
- Beck HansenNominated in 2009.