Here are the best guard dogs for families with kids, as ranked by dog lovers and breed experts alike. Protecting your family is the most important thing in the world. So, when you’re trying to decide which dog breed to introduce into your brood, you may consider a dog that will ensure the safety of your home and the precious people that reside in it. Many dog breeds are considered watchdogs because of their abilities to sense danger and protect their family, and guard dogs are often known for barking at potential threats like home intruders. In extreme cases, they’ve also been known to attack by biting those who are harming those they’re familiar with. These guard dogs are sweet and loving to those they know, but are very sensitive to impending peril.
So what are the best guard dogs for families? This list has the canine breeds that are most likely to protect their families through warning them of danger and warding off possible threats. These dogs are also perfect for families with children because they can be extremely loving to their family members.
This list of the best family protection dogs includes large breeds that would be intimidating to any possible intruder, as well as small dogs which are perfect for warning when danger is near. Whatever your reason for wanting a dog, these pups will be sure to give you the love and security your family needs.
- The Rottweiler (, UK also ) is a breed of domestic dog, regarded as medium-to-large or large. The dogs were known in German as Rottweiler Metzgerhund, meaning Rottweil butchers' dogs, because their ...more
- The German Shepherd (German: Deutscher Schäferhund, German pronunciation: [ˈʃɛːfɐˌhʊnt]) is a breed of medium to big-sized working dog that originated in Germany. In the English language, the breed's ...more
- The Dobermann, (; German pronunciation: [ˈdoːbɐman]), Doberman or Doberman Pinscher in the United States and Canada, is a medium-large breed of domestic dog that was originally developed around 1890 ...more
- The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a purebred dog breed recognized by the United Kennel Club and American Dog Breeders Association, but not the American Kennel Club (AKC). It is a medium-sized, ...more
- The Boxer is a medium-sized, short-haired breed of dog, developed in Germany. The coat is smooth and tight-fitting; colors are fawn brindled or white, with or without white markings. Boxers are ...more
- The American Staffordshire Terrier, also known as the Amstaff, is a medium-sized, short-coated American dog breed.In the early part of the twentieth century the breed gained social stature and was ...more
- The Labrador Retriever, or just Labrador, is a large type of retriever-gun dog. The Labrador is one of the most popular breeds of dog in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.A favourite ...more
- The Alaskan Malamute is a large breed of domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) originally bred for their strength and endurance to haul heavy freight, and later as a sled dog. They are similar to ...more
- The St. Bernard or St Bernard (UK: , US: ) is a breed of very large working dog from the western Alps in Italy and Switzerland. They were originally bred for rescue by the hospice of the Great St ...more
- The English Mastiff is a breed of extremely large dog. National kennel clubs, including the KC and the AKC, refer to the breed as simply the Mastiff. They perhaps descended from the ancient Alaunt ...more
- The Bull Terrier is a breed of dog in the terrier family. There is also a miniature version of this breed which is officially known as the Miniature Bull Terrier.
- The Golden Retriever is a large-sized gun dog that retrieve shot waterfowl, such as ducks and upland game birds, during hunting and shooting parties. They were named 'retriever' because of their ...more
- The Bernese Mountain Dog (German: Berner Sennenhund) is a large-sized breed of dog, one of the four breeds of Sennenhund-type dogs from the Swiss Alps. Bred from crosses of Mastiffs and guard-type ...more
- The American Bulldog is a large breed of utility dog descended from the now-extinct Old English Bulldog. They are now used on animal farms, dog sports, and for showing. They are part of American ...more
- The Border Collie is a working and herding dog breed developed in the Scottish borders for herding livestock, especially sheep. It was specifically bred for intelligence and obedience. Considered ...more
- The Dogo Argentino is a large, white, muscular breed of dog that was developed in Argentina primarily for the purpose of big-game hunting, including wild boar. The breeder, Antonio Nores Martínez, ...more
- Akita is the capital city of Akita Prefecture, Japan, and has been designated a core city since April 1, 1997. As of September 2013, the city has an estimated population of 320,232 and a population ...more
- The Belgian Shepherd (also known as the Belgian Sheepdog or Chien de Berger Belge) is a breed of medium- to large-sized herding dogs. It originated in Belgium and is similar to other sheep-herding ...more
- The Australian Cattle Dog (ACD), or simply Cattle Dog, is a breed of herding dog originally developed in Australia for droving cattle over long distances across rough terrain. This breed is a ...more
- The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (German: Grosser Schweizer Sennenhund or French: Grand Bouvier Suisse) is a dog breed which was developed in the Swiss Alps. The name Sennenhund refers to people called ...more
- The Alaskan Klee Kai is a spitz-type breed of dog, developed in the late 20th century as a companion-sized dog resembling the larger Alaskan Malamute. It is an energetic, intelligent dog with an ...more
- The Beauceron is a rabbit and herding dog breed falling into the working dog category whose origins lie in the plains of Central France. The Beauceron is also known as Berger de Beauce (sheepdog from ...more
- The Bloodhound is a large scent hound, originally bred for hunting deer, wild boar and, since the Middle Ages, for tracking people. Believed to be descended from hounds once kept at the Abbey of ...more
- The Newfoundland dog is a large working dog. They can be either black, brown, or white-and-black (called Landseer). However, in the Dominion of Newfoundland, before it became part of the ...more