Every 'Halo' Game, Ranked Best to Worst
If it weren’t for the best Halo games, the Xbox consoles wouldn’t be the critical hits they are now. The original Halo: Combat Evolved was a masterpiece that helped make multiplayer first-person shooters popular on consoles. In addition, the Halo storyline is a triumph of science fiction, spawning multiple movies and novels. But not all Halo games were made equal, so fans have ranked them from best to worst.
Who can forget that first breathtaking view of the Halo ringworld from the first Halo game? Right after Master Chief ejects from the Pillar of Autumn in an escape pod. Speaking of characters, the Halo franchise has some of the most memorable protagonists and antagonists in gaming history. In fact, a few of them are well-known even to non-gamers. Case in point, Microsoft went on to use the Cortana name for the popular Windows 10 search feature.
So be sure to join the discussion and vote up your favorite Halo games from over the years. This list of the best Halo games is here to let people know which are the ones they have to play and which ones can be skipped.
- 11,117 VOTESHalo 3 is a 2007 first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie for the Xbox 360 console. The third installment in the Halo franchise, the game concludes the story arc begun in 2001's Halo: Combat Evolved and continued in 2004's Halo 2. The game was released on September 25, 2007, in Australia, Brazil, India, New Zealand, North America, and Singapore; September 26, 2007, in Europe; and September 27, 2007, in Japan. Halo 3 's story centers on the interstellar war between twenty-sixth century humanity and a collection of alien races known as the Covenant. The player assumes the role of the Master Chief, a cybernetically enhanced supersoldier, as he battles the Covenant. The game ...more
- Released: 2007
- Developer: Bungie Studios
- Platform: Xbox 360, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows
- 21,044 VOTESHalo: Reach is a 2010 first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft Game Studios for the Xbox 360 console. Reach was released in North America, Australia, and Europe on September 14, 2010. The game takes place in the year 2552, where humanity is locked in a war with the alien Covenant. Players control Noble Six, a member of an elite supersoldier squad, when the human world known as Reach falls under Covenant attack. After developing Halo 3 in 2007, Bungie split into teams to develop two different games—what would become Halo 3: ODST and Reach. The developers decided to create a prequel to the original Halo game trilogy, freeing themselves from the obligation ...more
- Released: 2010
- Developer: Bungie Studios
- Platform: Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One
- 31,013 VOTESHalo 2 is a 2004 first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie Studios. Released for the Xbox video game console on November 9, 2004, the game is the second installment in the Halo franchise and the sequel to 2001's critically acclaimed Halo: Combat Evolved. A Microsoft Windows version of the game was released on May 31, 2007, developed by an internal team at Microsoft Game Studios known as Hired Gun. The game features a new game engine, as well as using the Havok physics engine; added weapons and vehicles, and new multiplayer maps. The player alternately assumes the roles of the human Master Chief and the alien Arbiter in a 26th-century conflict between the human United Nations Space ...more
- Released: 2004
- Developer: Microsoft Studios, Bungie Studios, Pi Studios
- Platform: Microsoft Windows, Xbox, Xbox 360
- 4905 VOTESHalo: Combat Evolved is a 2001 military science fiction first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft. The first game of the Halo franchise, it was released on November 15, 2001, as an exclusive launch title for the Xbox gaming system, and is considered the platform's "killer app". More than five million copies were sold worldwide by November 2005. Microsoft released versions of the game for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X in 2003, and the surrounding storyline was adapted and elaborated into a series of novels, comic books, and live-action Web shorts. The game was later released as an Xbox Original for download onto an Xbox 360 hard drive. Halo is set in the ...more
- Released: 2001
- Developer: Gearbox Software, Bungie Studios, MacSoft Games
- Platform: Xbox, OS X, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Xbox 360
- 5776 VOTESHalo 3: ODST is a 2009 first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft. It is part of the Halo franchise, and was released on the Xbox 360 video game console on September 22, 2009. Players assume the roles of elite human United Nations Space Command soldiers, known as "Orbital Drop Shock Troopers" or ODSTs, during the events of Halo 2. In the game's campaign mode, players explore the ruined city of New Mombasa to discover what happened to their missing teammates in the midst of an alien invasion. In the "Firefight" multiplayer option, players battle increasingly difficult waves of enemies to score points and survive as long as possible; the Halo 3 multiplayer ...more
- Released: 2009
- Developer: Bungie Studios
- Platform: Xbox 360
- 6100 VOTESHalo Infinite is a sci-fi first-person shooter game developed by 343 Industries and published by Xbox Game Studios. The game is the sixth main entry in the Halo series and was released in 2021 for Xbox X/S, Xbox One and PC. The game continues Master Chief story after the events of Halo 5: Guardians.
- Released: 2021
- Developer: 343 Industries
- Platform: Xbox X/S, Xbox One, PC