The best HBO miniseries tell their tale in a limited number of episodes, but that doesn't mean their impact is less than a long-running show. From period dramas to speculative fiction, HBO miniseries continue to hold their weight as television events in a world that is more and more frequently split by streaming and network attentions and produce some of the best new miniseries on any network.
Since their first miniseries in 1979, The Seekers, HBO has turned out many beautiful historical drama limited series. The much-acclaimed 2001 Band Of Brothers was about the drama of war while From Earth To The Moon awed audiences with its special effects and accurate telling of the Apollo program. It isn't just docudramas that fill HBO's miniseries programming schedule, there are also adaptations of novels, such as Sharp Objects, Olive Kitteridge, and Empire Falls. The adaptation of the play Angels in America not only won a Golden Globe and an Emmy for its category, but stars Al Pacino and Meryl Streep each won a Golden Globe and an Emmy for their performances in the miniseries as well.
With so many great miniseries and limited series from HBO, which stand out the most? Vote up the top miniseries to air on HBO, and check back as we update the list with new shows, including some of the best new HBO documentaries.
- Photo: HBOBand of Brothers is a 2001 American WWII drama miniseries based on historian Stephen E. Ambrose's 1992 non-fiction book of the same name. The executive producers were Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who had collaborated on the 1998 WWII film Saving Private Ryan. The episodes first aired in 2001 on HBO. The series dramatizes the history of the "Easy" Company from jump training in the U.S. through its participation in major actions in Europe, and up until Japan's capitulation and WWII end's. ... more
- Actors: Damian Lewis, Ron Livingston, Rick Gomez, Scott Grimes, Frank John Hughes
- Photo: Chernobyl / HBOChernobyl (HBO, 2019) is an American-British historical drama television miniseries created by Craig Mazin. In April 1986, an explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the USSR becomes one of the world's worst man-made catastrophes.... more
- Actors: Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård, Emily Watson, Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useThe Pacific is a 2010 television series produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia, Sky Movies, Playtone and DreamWorks that premiered in the United States on 14 March 2010. The series is a companion piece to the 2001 miniseries Band of Brothers. The Pacific centers on the experiences of three Marines who were all in different regiments of the 1st Marine Division. ... more
- Actors: James Badge Dale, Joseph Mazzello, Jon Seda
- Photo: user uploaded imageJohn Adams is a 2008 American television miniseries chronicling most of U.S. President John Adams' political life and his role in the founding of the United States. Paul Giamatti portrays John Adams. The miniseries was directed by Tom Hooper. Kirk Ellis wrote the screenplay based on the book John Adams by David McCullough. The biopic of John Adams and the story of the first fifty years of the United States was broadcast in seven parts by HBO between March 16 and April 20, 2008. John Adams received widespread critical acclaim, and many prestigious awards. The show won four Golden Globe awards and thirteen Emmy awards, more than any other miniseries in history.... more
- Actors: Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, David Morse, Stephen Dillane