The best HBO miniseries tell their tale in a limited number of episodes, but that doesn't mean their impact is less than a long-running show. From period dramas to speculative fiction, HBO miniseries continue to hold their weight as television events in a world that is more and more frequently split by streaming and network attentions and produce some of the best new miniseries on any network.
Since their first miniseries in 1979, The Seekers, HBO has turned out many beautiful historical drama limited series. The much-acclaimed 2001 Band Of Brothers was about the drama of war while From Earth To The Moon awed audiences with its special effects and accurate telling of the Apollo program. It isn't just docudramas that fill HBO's miniseries programming schedule, there are also adaptations of novels, such as Sharp Objects, Olive Kitteridge, and Empire Falls. The adaptation of the play Angels in America not only won a Golden Globe and an Emmy for its category, but stars Al Pacino and Meryl Streep each won a Golden Globe and an Emmy for their performances in the miniseries as well.
With so many great miniseries and limited series from HBO, which stand out the most? Vote up the top miniseries to air on HBO, and check back as we update the list with new shows, including some of the best new HBO documentaries.
- This series, originally broadcast on HBO, tells the story of Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army. Based on interviews with survivors of Easy Company, as well as soldiers' journals and letters, this 10-part series chronicles the experiences of these young men who knew extraordinary bravery and extraordinary fear. Based on the book written by Stephen Ambrose. ...more
- Actors: Damian Lewis, Ron Livingston, Rick Gomez, Scott Grimes, Frank John Hughes
- Photo: Chernobyl / HBOChernobyl (HBO, 2019) is an American-British historical drama television miniseries created by Craig Mazin. In April 1986, an explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the USSR becomes one of the world's worst man-made catastrophes. ...more
- Actors: Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård, Emily Watson, Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useBased on the accounts of Marines in World War II, this 10-part miniseries follows the intertwined journeys of three U.S. Marines in the Pacific Theater -- Pfcs. Robert Leckie and Eugene B. Sledge and Sgt. John Basilone -- from their first battle against Japan on Guadalcanal, across the sands of Iwo Jima and the horror of Okinawa, to their ultimately triumphant return after V-J Day. The producing team behind "The Pacific," including Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, also was behind HBO's award-winning miniseries "Band of Brothers." ...more
- Actors: James Badge Dale, Joseph Mazzello, Jon Seda
- Adapted from David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography, this lavish seven-part miniseries chronicles the life of Founding Father John Adams, starting with the Boston Massacre of 1770 through his years as an ambassador in Europe, then his terms as vice president and president of the United States, up to his death on July 4, 1826. ...more
- Actors: Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, David Morse, Stephen Dillane