Whether you like face-melting guitar solos or dark vocals, the best heavy metal groups of 2020 have it all. The 2020 class of good heavy metal bands and artists includes veteran acts, newcomers, and everyone in between. Some of the best metal artists and bands of 2020 have massive tours on the calendar, while others are releasing highly anticipated new albums.
Legends of the heavy metal genre and some of the greatest headbangers of all time are also among the top heavy metal bands today, with metal greats like Ozzy Osbourne and Demons all releasing new albums.
But, it's not just the classic metal bands on the scene in 2020: some of the hottest heavy metal bands right now have 2020 albums planned, while up-and-coming artists like Lovebites ready to make a name for themselves and leave their mark on the music world via new music and live shows.
Which metal bands do you think will own 2020? Vote your favorite 2020 heavy metal outfit up to the top of this list and add any artists we may have missed. Then head over and check out the top metal albums to come out in 2020.
- Lovebites (stylized as LOVEBITES) is a Japanese all-female heavy metal band, formed in 2016 by former Destrose members Miho and Haruna.
- Nightwish is a symphonic metal band from Kitee, Finland. The band was formed in 1996 by lead songwriter and keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen, guitarist Emppu Vuorinen, and former lead singer Tarja ...more
- John Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne (born 3 December 1948) is an English singer, songwriter, actor and reality television star who rose to prominence during the 1970s as the lead vocalist of the heavy metal ...more
- Epica is a Dutch symphonic metal band, founded by guitarist and vocalist Mark Jansen subsequent to his departure from After Forever. They are known for their symphonic sound and the use of female ...more
- Five Finger Death Punch is an American metal band from Las Vegas, Nevada. Formed in 2005, the group's name is derived from classic martial arts cinema. The band originally consisted of vocalist Ivan ...more
- Scorpions are a German rock band formed in 1965 in Hanover by Rudolf Schenker. Since the band's inception, its musical style has ranged from hard rock to heavy metal. The lineup from 1978–1992 was ...more
- Apocalyptica is a Finnish metal band from Helsinki, Finland formed in 1993. The band is composed of classically trained cellists Eicca Toppinen, Paavo Lötjönen, and Perttu Kivilaakso and drummer ...more
- Sepultura (Portuguese: [ˌsepuwˈtuɾɐ], "grave") is a Brazilian heavy metal band from Belo Horizonte. Formed in 1984 by brothers Max and Igor Cavalera, the band was a major force in the groove metal, ...more
- The Ocean is a progressive metal band started in 2001 by German guitarist Robin Staps. However, the first stable line-up was formed only by 2009 during recording sessions of Heliocentric and ...more
- Static-X is an American industrial metal band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1994. The line-up has fluctuated over the years, but was long-held constant with band founder, frontman, ...more
- Delain is a Dutch symphonic metal band formed in 2002 by former Within Temptation keyboardist Martijn Westerholt, and Charlotte Wessels. The name of the band comes from the Kingdom of Delain in ...more
- King Diamond are a Danish heavy metal band formed in 1985 by vocalist King Diamond, guitarists Andy LaRocque and Michael Denner, bassist Timi Hansen and drummer Mikkey Dee. Diamond, Denner and Hansen ...more
- Protest the Hero is a Canadian progressive metal band from Whitby, Ontario. Originally named Happy Go Lucky, the band changed their name to Protest the Hero shortly before releasing their debut EP, ...more
- Enslaved is a Norwegian extreme metal band formed by Ivar Bjørnson and Grutle Kjellson in Haugesund in June 1991. They are currently based in Bergen, Norway. Though the band's lineup has changed ...more
- Breaking Benjamin is an American rock band founded in 1998 by Benjamin Burnley in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Having outlasted significant lineup changes, Burnley is the sole constant member of the ...more
- The Black Dahlia Murder is an American melodic death metal band from Waterford, Michigan, formed in 2001. Their name is derived from the 1947 unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short, often referred to as ...more
- The Ghost Inside, formerly known as A Dying Dream, is an American metalcore band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2004.
- Anvil are a Canadian heavy metal band from Toronto, Ontario, formed in 1978. The band consists of Steve "Lips" Kudlow (vocals, guitar), Robb Reiner (drums),and Chris Robertson (bass). As of early ...more
- Demons and Wizards is a power metal band conceived as a side-project by vocalist for Blind Guardian, Hansi Kürsch, and the guitarist for Iced Earth, Jon Schaffer. Schaffer writes the music and Kürsch ...more
- Kvelertak is a six-piece heavy metal band from Stavanger, Norway, formed in 2007. The group comprises vocalist Erlend Hjelvik, guitarists Vidar Landa, Bjarte Lund Rolland and Maciek Ofstad, bassist ...more
Make Them SufferMake Them Suffer is an Australian metalcore band from Perth, currently signed to Rise Records.