Magic awaits those who tune into the best historical, mythological, and theological TV series. From famous wizards to divine beings, these shows feature a bevy of characters found in classic texts and tales. Although some historical fantasy TV shows follow characters who attempt to change momentous events of the past, just as many appear to be plain period pieces - until someone casts a spell.
Whether your want to travel a few decades or a few centuries, there's a historical fantasy series for you. Love the mid-20th century? James Franco plays an English teacher who travels back in time in an attempt to prevent the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 11.22.63, the popular Hulu series based on Stephen King's book of the same name. Want a buffet of time periods? American Gods is another great fantasy show based on a book that features several mythologies and is set in various historic time periods as well as the present. Don't forget that time travel isn't just for sci-fi. Claire Randall travels between World War II and 1742 Scotland in Outlander. Salem is another good show that combines fantasy with history and a touch of religion. Many medieval fantasy TV series revisit the era of King Arthur, from Camelot to Cursed.
Help make history with this list by voting your favorite historical and mythological TV series up to the top spot.
- Photo: Outlander / StarzOutlander (Starz, 2014) is a historical drama television series developed by Ronald D. Moore, based on the novel series by Diana Gabaldon. A married former WWII nurse (Caitriona Balfe) is suddenly transported back in time to 1740s Scotland where she meets a Highland warrior (Sam Heughan).... more
477Fantastically good history show?
- Actors: Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan, Sophie Skelton, Richard Rankin, Duncan Lacroix
- Premiered: August 9, 2014
- Network: STARZ
- Photo: Merlin / BBC OneMerlin (BBC One, 2008) is a British fantasy-adventure serial drama television series created by Julian Jones, Jake Michie, Johnny Capps, and Julian Murphybased and is based on the Arthurian legends. Merlin (Colin Morgan), a young and powerful wizard, sets out to fulfill his destiny: to protect Arthur (Bradley James) and ensure his throne.... more
3820Fantastically good history show?
- Actors: Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Richard Wilson, Angel Coulby, Katie McGrath
- Premiered: September 20, 2008
- Network: BBC1
- Photo: ShowtimePenny Dreadful (Showtime, 2014) is a British-American horror drama television series created by John Logan. Explorer Sir Malcolm Murray (Timothy Dalton), American gunslinger Ethan Chandler (Josh Hartnett), scientist Victor Frankenstein (Harry Treadaway), and medium Vanessa Ives (Eva Green) unite to combat supernatural threats in Victorian London.... more
247Fantastically good history show?
- Actors: Timothy Dalton, Eva Green, Josh Hartnett, Reeve Carney, Billie Piper
- Premiered: May 9, 2014
- Network: SHOW
- Photo: Britannia / Amazon Video4
BritanniaBritannia (Amazon Video, 2018) is a British-American historical fantasy series written by Jez Butterworth. In AD 43 during the Roman conquest of Britain, Celtic rivals Kerra (Kelly Reilly) and Antedia (Zoë Wanamaker) must work together to fight off the invasion led by Aulus Plautius (David Morrissey).... more
2715Fantastically good history show?
- Actors: David Morrissey, Kelly Reilly, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Liana Cornell, Gershwyn Eustache Jnr
- Premiered: August 2, 2020
- Network: EPIX