This is a list of the best historical movies for children. Kids have shorter attention spans these days (adults as well), so trying to teach kids anything about history is a chore and now borderline impossible if they aren’t enjoying themselves. So good historical movies for kids are a great aid to get children to learn about historical events they may otherwise have no interest in. These history films for young kids aren’t going to make them experts in any historical event, but they can spark an interest of that event in a child and make them want to learn more about it.
If you've ever asked yourself, what historical films can kids watch? Look to this list for movies about history that are appropriate for younger audiences. This list is exclusively made up of historical movies for kids. You'll find films such as Hidden Figures and Night at the Museum both of which can be a great introduction to the subject of history and historical figures.
This list of top historical films are great for a child and share it with your friends (especially if they’re parents). But which of these is the best history film for kids? You can help decide with your votes. Vote up the history movies for kids that you love. Your votes will help get that movie to the top. If you don’t agree with the ranking of the list, make your own history and re-rank it however you’d like. This list is going to be one for the history books!
- The Sound of Music is a 1965 American musical drama film produced and directed by Robert Wise and starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. The film is an adaptation of the 1959 Broadway musical The Sound of Music, composed by Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. The film's screenplay was written by Ernest Lehman, adapted from the stage musical's book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. Based on the memoir The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp, the film is about a young Austrian woman studying to become a nun in Salzburg in 1938 who is sent to the villa of a retired naval officer and widower to be governess to his seven children. After bringing love... more on Wikipedia
7921Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Eleanor Parker, Nicholas Hammond, Heather Menzies
- Released: 1965
- Directed by: Robert Wise
- Mulan is a 1998 American animated musical action-comedy-drama film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation based on the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan. The 36th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics, it was directed by Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook, with story by Robert D. San Souci and screenplay by Rita Hsiao, Philip LaZebnik, Chris Sanders, Eugenia Bostwick-Singer, and Raymond Singer. Ming-Na, Eddie Murphy, Miguel Ferrer and BD Wong star in the English version, while Jackie Chan provided his voice for the Chinese dubs of the film. The film's plot takes place during the Han Dynasty, where Fa Mulan, daughter of aged warrior Fa Zhou, impersonates a man to take her father's... more on Wikipedia
5521Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Eddie Murphy, Ming-Na Wen, George Takei, Donny Osmond, Pat Morita
- Released: 1998
- Directed by: Tony Bancroft, Barry Cook
- Photo: uploaded by DrewMasonHidden Figures is a 2016 American biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi, based on the non-fiction book by Margot Lee Shetterly. The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.... more on Wikipedia
5321Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monáe, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst
- Released: 2016
- Directed by: Theodore Melfi
- Photo: Universal PicturesApollo 13 is a 1995 American historical docudrama film directed by Ron Howard. The film stars Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris. The screenplay by William Broyles, Jr. and Al Reinert, that dramatizes the aborted 1970 Apollo 13 lunar mission, is an adaptation of the book Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by astronaut Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. The film depicts astronauts Lovell, Jack Swigert and Fred Haise aboard Apollo 13 for America's third Moon landing mission. ... more on Wikipedia
4725Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Tom Hanks, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ed Harris, Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise
- Released: 1995
- Directed by: Ron Howard