Here are the best artists and bands from Iowa. When most people think of Iowa, their first thoughts turn to farms and corn. However, once you get past all the farms, you will find a vibrant music scene that has produced some of the most influential artists in modern America. Many musicians who are now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame came out of Iowa, including The Everly Brothers, Art Farmer, and Bix Beiderbeck. This list of the most famous Iowa musical artists has acts from all walks of life and from pretty much every musical genre conceivable.
One of the most interesting developments to come out of Iowa is the emergence of heavy metal bands. Slipknot is originally from Des Moines, and they even named one of their albums Iowa. On the much lighter side of rock and roll, Nate Ruess, who is the lead singer of the band FUN, was born in Iowa City.
Iowa also has the distinction of being the location where Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens were taking off from on their ill-fated flight. They performed their last gig at the Surf Ballroom. Other popular Iowa artists include Corey Taylor, Julia Michaels, Emily West, and Stone Sour.
It is up to you to decide who the best musical artists from Iowa are. Vote for your favorites, so they can climb to the top of the list.
Albums: Slipknot, Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses), Iowa, 9.0: Live, Wait and BleedSlipknot is an American heavy metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. Formed in September 1995, the group was founded by percussionist Shawn Crahan and bassist Paul Gray. After several line-up changes in... more
Albums: Come What(ever) May, Through Glass, House of Gold & Bones – Part 2, Stone Sour, House of Gold & Bones – Part 1Stone Sour is an American rock band formed in Des Moines, Iowa in 1992, performing for five years, before disbanding in 1997. They reunited in 2000 and since 2006, the group has consisted of Corey... more
Albums: Seven Rings in Hand: Sonic and the Secret Rings Original Sound Track, I'm Not Jesus, X-M@$, London CallingCorey Todd Taylor (born December 8, 1973) is an American singer, songwriter, actor and author. He is known as the lead vocalist and lyricist of the bands Slipknot and Stone Sour.Taylor and Jim Root... more
Albums: Christmas With The Everly Brothers, The Everly Brothers Sing Great Country Hits, It's Everly Time, Born Yesterday, All-Time Original HitsThe Everly Brothers were an American country-influenced rock and roll duo, known for steel-string acoustic guitar playing and close harmony singing. Consisting of Isaac Donald "Don" Everly (born... more
- 8226James Donald Root (born October 2, 1971), also known by his number #4, is an American musician, songwriter, and guitarist. He is one of two guitarists for the American heavy metal band Slipknot, and... more
Albums: A Christmas Concert, Past Perfect, Songbook, The Real Glenn Miller, LegendsAlton Glenn Miller (March 1, 1904 – disappeared December 15, 1944) was an American big-band trombonist, arranger, composer, and bandleader in the swing era. He was the best-selling recording artist... more
- 7124Paul Dedrick Gray (April 8, 1972 – May 24, 2010) also known as the Pig or by his number #2, was an American musician best known as the former bassist, backing vocalist, songwriter and one of the... more
Albums: Teaser, 1420 Beachwood Drive: The California Rehearsals, Part 2, Private Eyes, MoxyThomas Richard Bolin (August 1, 1951 – December 4, 1976) was an American guitarist and songwriter who played with Zephyr (from 1969 to 1971), James Gang (from 1973 to 1974), and Deep Purple (from... more
William Elliott WhitmoreFolk music, Alternative country
Albums: Ashes to Dust, Song of the Blackbird, Latitudes, Animals in the Dark, UntitledWilliam Elliott Whitmore (born May 11, 1978) is an American blues, country, folk singer and musician. He plays roots-folk music that is often inspired by his life on his family farm in the hills of... more
Isaac JamesRock music, Rock and rollIsaac James is an American rock band with roots based in both Kansas City, Missouri and Des Moines, Iowa.... more
- 5420Craig Michael Jones (born February 11, 1972), also known by his nickname "133", is an American heavy metal musician. Born in Des Moines, Iowa, he is best known as the sampler and keyboardist in... more
Albums: Abunaii Sounds - Tataku on Your Atama, The New Leader, Sound Assault, Live at Konkrete Jungle New York City, Full Metal Scratch-ItSidney George Wilson (born March 15, 1978) , also known as TheDJ, DJ Starscream, #0 (or 0), is an American DJ, keyboardist, rapper and pianist, best known as the turntablist of the Grammy... more
- 5219Nathan Jonas "Joey" Jordison (born April 26, 1975), is an American musician, songwriter, record producer and multi-instrumentalist, best known for his work as the former drummer and co-songwriter for... more
- 4613Julia Carin Cavazos (born November 13, 1993), known by her stage name Julia Michaels, is an American singer and songwriter from Davenport, Iowa. She began performing as a teenager and later began... more
Albums: We Need a Little Christmas, The Andy Williams Christmas Album, Moon River, Christmas Present, Music to Fall in Love ByHoward Andrew Williams (December 3, 1927 – September 25, 2012) was an American singer. He recorded 43 albums in his career, of which 15 have been gold-certified and three platinum-certified. He was... more
Albums: The Bix Beiderbecke Collection, Bix Beiderbecke and the Chicago Cornets, Felix the Cat, EMI Jazz Masters: Bix Beiderbecke, With Jean Goldkette's Orchestra 1924-1927Leon Bismark "Bix" Beiderbecke (March 10, 1903 – August 6, 1931) was an American jazz cornetist, pianist, and composer. Beiderbecke was one of the most influential jazz soloists of the 1920s, a... more
- 4720Christopher Michael "Chris" Fehn (born February 24, 1973), or known by his number #3, is an American musician, best known as a former percussionist of the Grammy Award-winning heavy metal band... more
Albums: American Spirit, The Real McCall An American Storyteller, Wolf Creek Pass, Roses for Mama, C. W. McCall & Co.William Dale Fries Jr. (born November 15, 1928) is an American singer, activist and politician best known by his stage name C. W. McCall and for his truck-themed outlaw country songs. While most of... more
Albums: In the Dark With You, Songs of Innocence and of Experience, Friend of Mine, One More Goodnight Kiss, The Poet GameGreg Brown (born Gregory Dane Brown July 2, 1949) is an American folk musician from Iowa.... more
Simon EstesSimon Estes (born March 2, 1938) is an operatic bass-baritone of African-American descent who had a major international opera career beginning in the 1960s. He has sung at most of the world's major... more
Albums: Brain Cycles, Radio Moscow, The Great Escape of Leslie Magnafuzz, 3 & 3 Quarters, Magical DirtRadio Moscow is an American psychedelic rock band from Story City, Iowa. Formed in 2003 by vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Parker Griggs, the band currently features bassist Anthony Meier and live... more
- 3919Madeline Mae "Maddie" Poppe is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and the season 16 winner of American Idol. She is a multi-instrumentalist playing the guitar, piano, and ukulele. Prior to... more
Albums: Folk Songs, The Ballad of the Fallen, Always Say Goodbye, Song X: Twentieth Anniversary, The Art of the SongCharles Edward Haden (August 6, 1937 – July 11, 2014) was an American jazz double bass player, bandleader, composer and educator whose career spanned more than fifty years. In the late 1950s, Haden... more
- 3821Nathaniel Joseph "Nate" Ruess is an American singer-songwriter and musician. He is the lead vocalist of indie pop band Fun, and previously of The Format. As of 2015, he also performs as a solo... more
Bo RamseyBo Ramsey (born Robert Franklin Ramsey, 1951 in Burlington, Iowa, United States) is an American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and recording producer.... more