Here are the best artists and bands from Iowa. When most people think of Iowa, their first thoughts turn to farms and corn. However, once you get past all the farms, you will find a vibrant music scene that has produced some of the most influential artists in modern America. Many musicians who are now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame came out of Iowa, including The Everly Brothers, Art Farmer, and Bix Beiderbeck. This list of the most famous Iowa musical artists has acts from all walks of life and from pretty much every musical genre conceivable.
One of the most interesting developments to come out of Iowa is the emergence of heavy metal bands. Slipknot is originally from Des Moines, and they even named one of their albums Iowa. On the much lighter side of rock and roll, Nate Ruess, who is the lead singer of the band FUN, was born in Iowa City.
Iowa also has the distinction of being the location where Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens were taking off from on their ill-fated flight. They performed their last gig at the Surf Ballroom. Other popular Iowa artists include Corey Taylor, Julia Michaels, Emily West, and Stone Sour.
It is up to you to decide who the best musical artists from Iowa are. Vote for your favorites, so they can climb to the top of the list.
- 22848Slipknot is an American heavy metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. Formed in September 1995, the... more
- 13335Stone Sour is an American rock band formed in Des Moines, Iowa in 1992, performing for five... more
- 13240Corey Todd Taylor (born December 8, 1973) is an American singer, songwriter, actor and author.... more
- 8821The Everly Brothers were an American country-influenced rock and roll duo, known for... more
- 7826James Donald Root (born October 2, 1971), also known by his number #4, is an American... more
- 6722Paul Dedrick Gray (April 8, 1972 – May 24, 2010) also known as the Pig or by his number #2,... more
- 6722Alton Glenn Miller (March 1, 1904 – disappeared December 15, 1944) was an American big-band... more
- 6017Richard Anthony Monsour (Arabic: ريتشارد أنتوني منصور; May 4, 1937 – March 16, 2019), known... more
William Elliott WhitmoreFolk music, Alternative countryWilliam Elliott Whitmore (born May 11, 1978) is an American blues, country, folk singer and... more
- 5417Thomas Richard Bolin (August 1, 1951 – December 4, 1976) was an American guitarist and... more
- 5216Nathan Jonas "Joey" Jordison (born April 26, 1975), is an American musician, songwriter,... more
Isaac JamesRock music, Rock and rollIsaac James is an American rock band with roots based in both Kansas City, Missouri and Des... more
- 5319Craig Michael Jones (born February 11, 1972), also known by his nickname "133", is an American... more
- 5522Sidney George Wilson (born March 15, 1978) , also known as TheDJ, DJ Starscream, #0 (or 0), is... more
- 4716Howard Andrew Williams (December 3, 1927 – September 25, 2012) was an American singer. He... more
- 4719Christopher Michael "Chris" Fehn (born February 24, 1973), or known by his number #3, is an... more
- 4113Julia Carin Cavazos (born November 13, 1993), known by her stage name Julia Michaels, is an... more
- 4013William Dale Fries Jr. (born November 15, 1928) is an American singer, activist and politician... more
- 327Leon Bismark "Bix" Beiderbecke (March 10, 1903 – August 6, 1931) was an American jazz... more
- 4119Radio Moscow is an American psychedelic rock band from Story City, Iowa. Formed in 2003 by... more
- 3817Madeline Mae "Maddie" Poppe is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and the season 16... more
- 3413Greg Brown (born Gregory Dane Brown July 2, 1949) is an American folk musician from Iowa.... more
- 3919Nathaniel Joseph "Nate" Ruess is an American singer-songwriter and musician. He is the lead... more
Simon EstesSimon Estes (born March 2, 1938) is an operatic bass-baritone of African-American descent who... more
House of Large SizesHouse of Large Sizes was an alternative rock band from Cedar Falls, Iowa, in the United... more