The best James Stewart movies of all time prove that he was one of the top actors of his generation. Active from the 1930s up to the ‘90s, Stewart has appeared in plenty of blockbusters and critically-acclaimed movies, earning awards and accolades along the way. His highest grossing movies have been well-received at the box office as well, as he was voted as one of the most popular stars for a number of years.
Born in 1908, James Stewart was the oldest of three children. While he wanted to attend the United States Naval Academy, his father was able to persuade him into enrolling in Princeton University. At Princeton, he became attracted to drama and eventually joined a troupe.
During World War II, he enlisted in the Army and went on to serve in the Army Air Force. While he did not see combat for several years—much to his chagrin—he eventually had the opportunity to lead air combat missions over Europe. After the war, he returned to acting and became a leading man. Some of his best work, such as It’s a Wonderful Life and Vertigo, were from this period.
So what are the best James Stewart movies of all time? Is it Rear Window or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington? See what fans have ranked as their favorite James Stewart movies below. Movie trailers have been included below if you want a preview of the film. If you think the best James Stewart role isn't at the top, then vote it up. Don’t see it listed? Add it so that others may vote for it. After all, this list of the best James Stewart movies should be as comprehensive as possible.
James Stewart worked with many famous directors, including big names like Alfred Hitchcock and John Ford. Is Stewart your favorite person to watch on the big screen? If so, you might also want to vote on our best Gregory Peck and Henry Fonda films lists too.
- 71394It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 American Christmas fantasy comedy-drama film produced and... more
- 54385Rear Window is a 1954 American mystery thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and written... more
- 45190Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a 1939 American political comedy-drama film, starring James... more
- 41588Vertigo is a 1958 American psychological thriller film directed and produced by Alfred... more
- 39580Harvey is a 1950 film based on Mary Chase's play of the same name, directed by Henry Koster,... more
- 38885The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a 1962 American Western film directed by John Ford... more
- 27353Shenandoah is a 1965 American film starring James Stewart, Doug McClure, Glenn Corbett,... more
- 26950This film is a 1959 American courtroom drama film. It was directed by Otto Preminger and... more
- 30368The Philadelphia Story is a 1940 American romantic comedy film directed by George Cukor,... more
- 27254Winchester '73 is a 1950 American Western film directed by Anthony Mann and starring James... more
- 23650The Man Who Knew Too Much is a 1956 suspense thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock,... more
- 27053The Shop Around the Corner is a 1940 American romantic comedy film produced and directed by... more
- 20738The Flight of the Phoenix is a 1965 American drama film starring James Stewart, produced and... more
- 22454The Glenn Miller Story is a 1954 American film about the eponymous American band-leader,... more
- 21250Rope is a 1948 American psychological thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, based on the... more
- 16635You Can't Take It With You is a 1938 American romantic comedy film directed by Frank Capra and... more
- 17839The Spirit of St. Louis is a 1957 biographical film directed by Billy Wilder and starring... more
- 15934Broken Arrow is a western Technicolor film released in 1950. It was directed by Delmer Daves... more
- 13824Call Northside 777 is a 1948 documentary-style film noir directed by Henry Hathaway. It is... more
- 13442Bell, Book and Candle is a 1958 American romantic comedy Technicolor film directed by Richard... more
- 23023After the Thin Man is a 1936 American film, starring William Powell, Myrna Loy, and James... more
- 12847The Cheyenne Social Club is a 1970 Western comedy, written by James Lee Barrett, directed and... more
- 10421The Shopworn Angel is a 1938 American drama film directed by H. C. Potter and starring James... more
- 11026Dear Brigitte is a 1965 American DeLuxe Color family-comedy in CinemaScope starring James... more
- 12547Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation is a 1962 American comedy film directed by Henry Koster and... more