As a combat sport, jiu-jitsu focuses on grappling with a specific emphasis on ground fighting. They say no mixed martial artist can hold their own without having a background in jiu-jitsu, and as many fighters have shown, knowing how to grapple (and how to properly leverage your weight) can make all the difference in a fight.
While the art of jiu-jitsu goes back centuries (its origins can be traced back to Indian Buddhist monks), it didn’t gain a foothold in the United States until the 1970s when Carley Gracie opened the first Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) school in San Francisco. Combining traditional grappling techniques with deadly locks and throws, BJJ has since revolutionized the world of mixed martial arts.
It’s no surprise Joe Rogan is a huge fan of both jiu-jitsu and BJJ. He’s had an eclectic assortment of guests on his show who’ve all talked in detail about their love of the art. From comedians to professional MMA fighters, these guests all have their own unique personal accounts (and opinions) on jiu-jitsu and how it relates to MMA.
Be sure to vote up your favorite JRE podcast episodes where guests discuss jiu-jitsu so other fighting fans know which episode they should listen to next.
Guest: Morgan Fallon, director of photography, director, and producer.
- How Anthony Bourdain was addicted to Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Anthony did everything with passion
- Anthony slowed down his appreciation of Brazilian jiu-jitsu right before his death
Original Airing: September 12, 2018185This a great episode?
Guest: Theo Von, stand-up comedian.
- Joe wants to try out Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Further jiu-jitsu discussion
Original Airing: July 5, 2018131This a great episode?
Guest: Joey Diaz, stand-up comedian.
- Injuries that can come from Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Joey's experience with exercising
- How people need to get out into the sun more
Original Airing: July 4, 2018134This a great episode?
Guests: Jerrod Carmichael, stand-up comedian, actor, and writer. Jamar Neighbors, stand-up comedian and actor.
- How people who practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu are more chill
- How you should seek out difficult things
Original Airing: August 23, 2018135This a great episode?