Are you a fan of jukebox musicals? Whether they focus on a band's biography or tell a story all their own, the best jukebox musicals inspire audiences to get up and dance along with the performers. And it's no wonder why - jukebox musical plays use already popular songs as their scores. This list includes some of the best Broadway jukebox musicals and musical biographies ever made.
You'll find all kinds of shows represented here. Take Rock of Ages, for instance - it celebrates glam music from the 1980s in all its glory. Before this musical became a movie, it was a huge hit on Broadway, with musical numbers including “Sister Christian,” “Here I Go Again,” and of course, “Don’t Stop Believin'.”
Other outstanding examples of the best jukebox musical plays include Jersey Boys, the 2005 musical that tells the story of the rise and fall of The Four Seasons, and Green Day's rock opera American Idiot. And of course, no list of great jukebox musicals would be complete without Mamma Mia! Featuring the music of ABBA, it's now one of the longest-running shows in Broadway history.
Vote for your favorite jukebox musicals, and add any great shows that are missing!
- Jersey Boys is a jukebox musical with music by Bob Gaudio, lyrics by Bob Crewe, and book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice. It is presented in a documentary-style format that dramatizes the ...more
- Mamma Mia! is a jukebox musical written by British playwright Catherine Johnson, based on the songs of ABBA, composed by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, former members of the band. The title of ...more
- American Idiot is a sung-through rock musical based on the 2004 concept album of the same name by punk rock band Green Day. After a run at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in 2009, the show moved to ...more
- Beautiful: The Carole King Musical is a jukebox musical with a book by Douglas McGrath that tells the story of the early life and career of Carole King, using songs that she wrote, often together ...more
- The Boy from Oz is a jukebox musical based on the life of singer/songwriter Peter Allen while featuring songs written by him. The book is by Nick Enright. The production had its world premiere, ...more
Jagged Little Pill
Book by Diablo Cody, music by Alanis Morrissette. Musical about a suburban family and their issues.
- 7Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical is a rock musical with a book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado and music by Galt MacDermot. A product of the hippie counterculture and sexual ...more
- Rock of Ages is a jukebox musical built around classic rock songs from the 1980s, especially from the famous glam metal bands of that decade. The musical features songs from Styx, Journey, Bon Jovi, ...more
We Will Rock You
On Your Feet!
Motown: The Musical
- The Who's Tommy is a rock musical with music and lyrics by Pete Townshend and book by Townshend and Des McAnuff, based on The Who's 1969 rock opera Tommy.
- All Shook Up is a 2004 American jukebox musical with music from the Elvis Presley songbook and with a book by Joe DiPietro. The musical premiered on Broadway in 2005.
Million Dollar Quartet
Saturday Night Fever
- Movin' Out is a jukebox musical featuring the songs of Billy Joel. Conceived by Twyla Tharp, the musical tells the story of a generation of American youth growing up on Long Island during the 1960s ...more
- Smokey Joe's Cafe is a musical revue showcasing 39 pop standards, including rock and roll and rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Original Broadway cast ...more
Always... Patsy Cline
Ring of Fire
A Night With Janis Joplin
The Marvelous Wondrettes
- Leader of the Pack is a musical with liner notes by Anne Beatts and additional material by Jack Heifner, music by Ellie Greenwich, and lyrics by Greenwich, Jeff Barry, Phil Spector, George "Shadow" ...more