Are you a fan of jukebox musicals? Whether they focus on a band's biography or tell a story all their own, the best jukebox musicals inspire audiences to get up and dance along with the performers. And it's no wonder why - jukebox musical plays use already popular songs as their scores. This list includes some of the best Broadway jukebox musicals and musical biographies ever made.
You'll find all kinds of shows represented here. Take Rock of Ages, for instance - it celebrates glam music from the 1980s in all its glory. Before this musical became a movie, it was a huge hit on Broadway, with musical numbers including “Sister Christian,” “Here I Go Again,” and of course, “Don’t Stop Believin'.”
Other outstanding examples of the best jukebox musical plays include Jersey Boys, the 2005 musical that tells the story of the rise and fall of The Four Seasons, and Green Day's rock opera American Idiot. And of course, no list of great jukebox musicals would be complete without Mamma Mia! Featuring the music of ABBA, it's now one of the longest-running shows in Broadway history.
Vote for your favorite jukebox musicals, and add any great shows that are missing!
- 14254Mamma Mia! is a jukebox musical written by British playwright Catherine Johnson, based on the songs of ABBA, composed by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, former members of the band. The title of... more
- 11142Jersey Boys is a jukebox musical with music by Bob Gaudio, lyrics by Bob Crewe, and book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice. It is presented in a documentary-style format that dramatizes the... more
- 7049American Idiot is a sung-through rock musical based on the 2004 concept album of the same name by punk rock band Green Day. After a run at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in 2009, the show moved to... more
- Beautiful: The Carole King Musical is a jukebox musical with a book by Douglas McGrath that tells the story of the early life and career of Carole King, using songs that she wrote, often together... more
- 5741Rock of Ages is a jukebox musical built around classic rock songs from the 1980s, especially from the famous glam metal bands of that decade. The musical features songs from Styx, Journey, Bon Jovi,... more
We Will Rock You
On Your Feet!
Jagged Little Pill
Book by Diablo Cody, music by Alanis Morrissette. Musical about a suburban family and their issues.
- 3528The Who's Tommy is a rock musical with music and lyrics by Pete Townshend and book by Townshend and Des McAnuff, based on The Who's 1969 rock opera Tommy.... more
- 3022The Boy from Oz is a jukebox musical based on the life of singer/songwriter Peter Allen while featuring songs written by him. The book is by Nick Enright. The production had its world premiere,... more
- 3837All Shook Up is a 2004 American jukebox musical with music from the Elvis Presley songbook and with a book by Joe DiPietro. The musical premiered on Broadway in 2005. ... more
Saturday Night Fever
- 2223Movin' Out is a jukebox musical featuring the songs of Billy Joel. Conceived by Twyla Tharp, the musical tells the story of a generation of American youth growing up on Long Island during the 1960s... more
Always... Patsy Cline
Return to the Forbidden PlanetReturn to the Forbidden Planet is a Jukebox musical by playwright Bob Carlton based on Shakespeare's The Tempest and the 1950s science fiction film Forbidden Planet. It was billed as Shakespeare's... more
HairHair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical is a rock musical with a book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado and music by Galt MacDermot. A product of the hippie counterculture and sexual... more
Million Dollar Quartet
Motown: The Musical
Desperately Seeking Susan
Ring of Fire
- Smokey Joe's Cafe is a musical revue showcasing 39 pop standards, including rock and roll and rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Original Broadway cast... more