The LGBTQ+ community has long been one of the less-represented subjects within TV and film—that is, until around the 21st century (and 2010s). Though various gay and queer roles have been portrayed in a wide range of movies, that's not to say they've been the focus of a great deal of films. However, there have certainly been some great LGTBQ+ movies, many of which are films based on real people. In short, though gay figures haven't been celebrated nearly as much as other notable figures throughout history, there are indeed some incredible and riveting LGBTQ+ biopics from over the years.
Primarily taking on drama and romance themes, the best LGBTQ+ biopics don't span many genres, yet they do cover an array of stories and scenarios the community often faces in society. Moreover, they document the hardships and obstacles many LGBT and queer figures have dealt with in life. For instance, Milk takes a close look at the life of gay rights activist Harvey Milk while the 2018 hit Lizzie covers the life of Lizzie Borden and her dark story that later unfolded. The two movies cover completely different people and stories, but both display the difficulties that society can place on gay, bisexual, and trans people. Of course, these are just a couple examples of the many gay biopics out there.
Check out the list of top LGBTQ+ biopics below to see what you should check out next. If you've seen any of the films listed, be sure to cast votes for your favorites so others know which biopics are best.
- Shortly after moving to Florida, longtime prostitute Aileen Wuornos (Charlize Theron) meets young and reserved Selby Wall (Christina Ricci) and a romance blossoms. When a john (Lee Tergesen) attempts ...more
- In 1972, Harvey Milk (Sean Penn) and his then-lover Scott Smith leave New York for San Francisco, with Milk determined to accomplish something meaningful in his life. Settling in the Castro District, ...more
- Oscar Wilde (Stephen Fry) is a married writer who has occasionally indulged his weakness for male suitors. After much toil, Wilde debuts a stage comedy in London, and a chat at the theater with Lord ...more
- This is the true story of Frida Kahlo (Salma Hayek) and her husband Diego Rivera (Alfred Molina), the larger-than-life painters who became the most acclaimed artists in Mexican history, and whose ...more
- Young female-to-male transgender Brandon Teena (Hilary Swank) leaves his hometown under threat when his ex-girlfriend's brother discovers that he's biologically female. Resettling in the small town ...more
- Gia Carangi (Angelina Jolie) travels to New York City with dreams of becoming a fashion model. Within minutes of arriving, she meets Wilhelmina Cooper (Faye Dunaway), a wise and high-powered agent ...more
- "The Hours" is the story of three women searching for more potent, meaningful lives. Each is alive at a different time and place, all are linked by their yearnings and their fears. Their stories ...more
- Young Reginald Dwight changes his name to Elton John and collaborates with singer-songwriter Bernie Taupin to become one of the most iconic figures in pop history. Set to his most beloved songs, it's ...more
- Freddie Mercury -- the lead singer of Queen -- defies stereotypes and convention to become one of history's most beloved entertainers. The band's revolutionary sound and popular songs lead to Queen's ...more
- Once a powerful Hollywood director best known for "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein," James Whale (Ian McKellen) is long since retired and in increasingly poor health. His stalwart ...more
- Reading of the murder of a Kansas family, New York City novelist Truman Capote (Philip Seymour Hoffman) decides to cover the story himself, and travels to the small town with his childhood friend, ...more
- In 1939, newly created British intelligence agency MI6 recruits Cambridge mathematics alumnus Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) to crack Nazi codes, including Enigma -- which cryptanalysts had ...more
- Vita and Virginia is a 2018 British biographical romance drama film directed by Chanya Button. Poet and novelist Vita (Gemma Arterton) and literary icon Virginia (Elizabeth Debicki) embark on an ...more
- Worried About the Boy is a 2010 television drama film centred on the life of Boy George. It starred Douglas Booth as Boy George and Mathew Horne as lover Jon Moss. It was shown on BBC2 in 2010 as ...more
- Christopher and His Kind is a 2011 BBC television film. It tells the story of Christopher Isherwood's life in Berlin in the early 1930s. The film, adapted by Kevin Elyot from Isherwood's ...more
- Bessie is a 2015 biographical film directed by Dee Rees. The story of legendary blues performer Bessie Smith (Queen Latifah), who rose to fame during the 1920s and '30s.
- In 1944, young Allen Ginsberg (Daniel Radcliffe) has a rival for the affections of his charismatic classmate Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan). When the rival is found dead, Carr, William Burroughs and Jack ...more
- Biology professor Alfred Kinsey (Liam Neeson) has a perfectly respectable life teaching and doing research at Indiana University along with a happy home life with his wife (Laura Linney). When he ...more
- With support from his loving wife Gerda (Alicia Vikander), artist Einar Wegener (Eddie Redmayne) prepares to undergo one of the first sex-change operations.
- 21In 1892 Lizzie Borden lives a quiet life in Massachusetts under the strict rules established by her father. Lizzie finds a kindred spirit in the live-in maid, Bridget, and friendship soon blossoms ...more
Tom of Finland
- Poet and cultural icon Allen Ginsberg (James Franco) is living in San Francisco in the mid '50s with friends and fellow writers Jack Kerouac (Todd Rotondi) and Neal Cassady (Jon Prescott) when he ...more
- Two of the most acclaimed actresses of our time, Judi Dench and Kate Winslet, bring to the screen one of the most extraordinary women of her generation, celebrated author, Iris Murdoch. From her days ...more
- In Kansas, with childhood friend Harper Lee (Sandra Bullock), author Truman Capote (Toby Jones) developed an intense and complex relationship with convicted killer Perry Smith (Daniel Craig) while ...more