The Best LGBTQ+ Painters Of All Time
Over 500 Ranker voters have come together to rank this list of The Best LGBTQ+ Painters Of All Time
Vote up the LGBTQ+ painters you think produced the best bodies of work throughout their careers.
As long as people have been making art, LGBTQ+ artists have been painting from their perspective. From gay painters like Leonardo da Vinci and Andy Warhol to bisexuals like Frida Kahlo and trans artists like Lili Elbe and Jeffrey Catherine Jones, the rainbow of great LGBTQ+ painters stretches around the world.
All of these artists have created amazing bodies of work and changed art history books for the better, but it's more difficult to determine who has truly left their mark. Even if some of the names are new to you, their paintings are familiar, and it’s up to you to help determine which painters have made, or are making, history with their art.
Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci was an Italian polymath, painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer. He is ...more
- Age: Dec. at 67 (1452-1519)
- Birthplace: Europe, Vinci, Eurasia, Italy, Southern Europe
Frida Kahlo (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈfɾiða ˈkalo]; born Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderón; 6 July 1907 – 13 July 1954) was a Mexican painter known for her many portraits, self-portraits, and ...more
- Age: Dec. at 47 (1907-1954)
- Birthplace: Mexico City, Coyoacán, Greater Mexico City, Delegaciones del Distrito Federal, Mexico
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, commonly known as Michelangelo, was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, poet, and engineer of the High Renaissance who exerted an unparalleled ...more
- Age: Dec. at 88 (1475-1564)
- Birthplace: Caprese Michelangelo, Italy
Keith Allen Haring (May 4, 1958 – February 16, 1990) was an American artist whose pop art and graffiti-like work grew out of the New York City street culture of the 1980s.Haring's work grew to ...more
- Age: Dec. at 31 (1958-1990)
- Birthplace: Reading, Pennsylvania
Andy Warhol was an American artist who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art. His works explore the relationship between artistic expression, celebrity culture and ...more
- Age: Dec. at 58 (1928-1987)
- Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Jean-Michel Basquiat (French: [ʒɑ̃ miʃɛl baskija]; December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist of Haitian and Puerto Rican descent. Basquiat first achieved fame as part of SAMO, an ...more
- Age: Dec. at 27 (1960-1988)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America