List of the best Mediterranean countries to visit, as ranked by travelers and world experts. Bordering the Mediterranean Sea are some of the best travel locations in the world, perfect for any novice or knowledgeable traveler. These countries are very friendly to travelers and tourists, no matter where there country of origin is, so you can be sure to have a great vacation. If you’ve been wondering, “What are the best Mediterranean countries to visit as a tourist?” this list features the locations with welcoming cities and amazing sights. Whether you enjoy visiting historical locations, such as the Hagia Sophia in Turkey or the Acropolis in Greece, or the world’s best food, like in Italy and Spain, the Mediterranean is a universe of entertainment.
If you’re seeking a Mediterranean vacation that features amazing art, you may find yourself at home in the museums of Florence, Italy, or the Centro de Arte Reina Sofia in Spain. Those who want to see the world’s most iconic locations are sure to love the Eiffel Tower in France. Mediterranean countries are not only filled with the best historical locations but also the finest wine in the world.
For anybody who has been seeking the ideal Mediterranean location, this list features the best countries that are tourist friendly, relatively inexpensive, and fun for any type of traveler.
- Italy, officially the Italian Republic, is a unitary parliamentary republic in Europe. Italy covers an area of 301,338 km² and has a largely temperate climate; due to its shape, it is often referred to in Italy as lo Stivale. With 61 million inhabitants, it is the 5th most populous country in Europe. Italy is a very highly developed country and has the third largest economy in the Eurozone and the eighth-largest in the world. Since ancient times, Etruscan, Magna Graecia and other cultures have flourished in the territory of present-day Italy, being eventually absorbed by Rome, that has for centuries remained the leading political and religious centre of Western civilisation, capital of the... more
262248Is this a good spot to visit?
- Capital: Rome
- Language: Italian Language
- Founded: 1861-03-17
- Currency: Euro
- Area: 301230.0
- Turkey, officially the Republic of Turkey, is a parliamentary republic largely located in Western Asia with the portion of Eastern Thrace in Southeastern Europe. Turkey is bordered by eight countries: Bulgaria to the northwest; Greece to the west; Georgia to the northeast; Armenia, Iran and the Azerbaijani exclave of Nakhchivan to the east; and Iraq and Syria to the south. The Mediterranean Sea is to the south; the Aegean Sea to the west; and the Black Sea to the north. The Sea of Marmara, the Bosphorus and the Dardanelles demarcate the boundary between Thrace and Anatolia; they also separate Europe and Asia. Turkey's location at the crossroads of Europe and Asia makes it a country of... more
273220Is this a good spot to visit?
- Capital: Ankara
- Language: Turkish Language
- Founded: 1923-10-29
- Currency: Turkish lira
- Area: 783562.0
- Greece, officially the Hellenic Republic and known since ancient times as Hellas, is a country located in southeastern Europe. According to the 2011 census, Greece's population is around 11 million. Athens is the nation's capital and largest city, with Thessaloniki being the second largest and referred to as the co-capital. Greece is strategically located at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa. Situated on the southern tip of the Balkan peninsula, Greece shares land borders with Albania to the northwest, the Republic of Macedonia and Bulgaria to the north and Turkey to the northeast. The country consists of nine geographic regions: Macedonia, Central Greece, the Peloponnese, Thessaly,... more
304293Is this a good spot to visit?
- Capital: Athens
- Language: Greek Language
- Founded: 1821-03-25
- Currency: Euro
- Area: 131940.0
- Spain, officially the Kingdom of Spain, is a sovereign state located on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe. Its mainland is bordered to the south and east by the Mediterranean Sea except for a small land boundary with Gibraltar; to the north and northeast by France, Andorra, and the Bay of Biscay; and to the west and northwest by Portugal and the Atlantic Ocean. Along with France and Morocco, it is one of only three countries to have both Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines. Spain's 1,214 km border with Portugal is the longest uninterrupted border within the European Union. Spanish territory also includes two archipelagos; the Balearic Islands, in the Mediterranean Sea, and the... more
227262Is this a good spot to visit?
- Capital: Madrid
- Language: Spanish Language
- Currency: Euro
- Area: 505992.0