The best Michael Caine movies of all time prove that he’s one of the top actors of his generation. Since the ‘50s, Caine has appeared in plenty of blockbusters and critically-acclaimed movies, earning awards and accolades along the way. His highest grossing movies have been well-received at the box office as well, as his lifetime box office gross exceeds $1 billion.
Born Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, Michael Caine started his career in the 1950s with small roles in stage plays under the name of Michael Scott. Shortly afterwards however, he was told he needed to change it as there was already an actor by that name. He then adopted the name Michael Caine, which was inspired by the movie The Caine Mutiny.
For the rest of the ‘50s and the early’60s, Caine starred in small television and film roles. His first few roles were in classic films such as Alfie, The Ipcress File, and Zulu. From the ‘70s onwards, he worked in a variety of genres, including action, drama, comedy, and everything in between. Also, he legally changed his name to Michael Caine in 2016 to avoid being hassled at airports.
So what are the best Michael Caine movies of all time? Is it The Italian Job or Harry Brown? See what fans have ranked as their favorite Michael Caine movies below. This list of the best Michael Caine movies is ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Whether you enjoy him as a ladies man in Alfie or as a wise confidant in Batman Begins, there is no doubt about it, Michael Caine knows how to act. If you think the best Michael Caine role isn't at the top, then vote it up. Don’t see it listed? Add it so that others may vote for it. After all, this list of the best Michael Caine movies should be as comprehensive as possible.
If you are a fan of Caine's collaborations with director Christopher Nolan, you might also enjoy our list of best Christian Bale movies and best Morgan Freeman movies. Also, here's a fun fact.
- 15335The Cider House Rules is a 1999 American drama film directed by Lasse Hallström, based on John... more
- 21836The Man Who Would Be King is a 1975 film adapted from the Rudyard Kipling short story of the... more
- 20548Zulu is a 1964 epic film depicting the Battle of Rorke's Drift between the British Army and... more
- 15253Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a 1988 American comedy film directed by Frank Oz, and a remake of... more
- 10931Hannah and Her Sisters is a 1986 American comedy-drama film which tells the intertwined... more
- 16351Secondhand Lions, a 2003 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Tim McCanlies,... more
- 11937The Eagle Has Landed is a 1976 British film directed by John Sturges and starring Michael... more
- 18740Get Carter is a 1971 British film directed by Mike Hodges and starring Michael Caine, Ian... more
- 15433The Ipcress File is a 1965 British espionage film directed by Sidney J. Furie, starring... more
- 10822The Quiet American is a 2002 film adaptation of Graham Greene's bestselling novel of the same... more
- 9421Deathtrap is a 1982 thriller based on Ira Levin's play of the same name, directed by Sidney... more
- 18192The Italian Job is a 1969 British caper film, written by Troy Kennedy Martin, produced by... more
- 10128Battle of Britain is a 1969 British action film directed by Guy Hamilton. In 1940, the British... more
- 14069Alfie is a 1966 British romantic comedy-drama film directed by Lewis Gilbert and starring... more
- 14171Sleuth is a 1972 mystery thriller film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. The screenplay by... more
- 518Youth is a 2015 Italian comedy-drama film directed by Paolo Sorrentino. A retired orchestra... more
- 7221Without a Clue is a 1988 British comedy film directed by Thom Eberhardt and starring Michael... more
- 17127Educating Rita is a British 1983 drama/comedy film directed by Lewis Gilbert with a screenplay... more
- 6348Children of Men is a 2006 science fiction thriller film directed and co-written by Alfonso... more
- 129130The Dark Knight is a 2008 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, based on the DC Comics... more
- 12719Mona Lisa is a 1986 British neo-noir mystery drama about an ex-convict who becomes entangled... more
- 11667A Bridge Too Far is a 1977 epic film based on the 1974 book of the same name by Cornelius... more
- 9696"Harry Brown marks the feature film debut for talented upcoming director Daniel Barber,... more
- 10026Little Voice is a 1998 British musical written and directed by Mark Herman and made in... more
- 108135Batman Begins is a 2005 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, based on the DC Comics... more