Here are the best country artists and country bands from Michigan. Michigan is not necessarily known for its country music scene. The state, and Detroit in particular, have been incredibly important for various other musical genres, such as Motown, punk rock and techno. However, that is not to say a lot of famous country artists did not come from the Great Lakes State. In fact, some of the biggest country stars of all time were either born or raised here. There are plenty of country singers from Michigan, and some of the names on this list may surprise you.
Kid Rock may have started in rock and hip hop, but he later found a voice in the country music scene. His first real country success came when he collaborated on the ballad "Picture" with Sheryl Crow. He was introduced to a wider audience and has come out with numerous other country singles in the years since. Some other popular artists in the country scene that came out of the state include Uncle Kraker, Frankie Ballard, and Josh Gracin.
Have you ever asked yourself, "Which country singers are from Michigan?" You no longer have to wonder because the best ones are on this list. Vote for the artists you listen to all the time.
- 5135Robert James Ritchie (born January 17, 1971), known professionally as Kid Rock, is an American singer-songwriter, rapper, musician, record producer, and actor. In a career spanning over 20 years,... more
- Whitey Morgan and the 78's are a honky tonk country band based in Flint, Michigan. In 2010, they signed a recording contract with Chicago-based Bloodshot Records.... more
- 3021Frank Robert Ballard IV (born December 16, 1982) is an American country music singer-songwriter and guitarist. He has released two albums each for Reprise Records and Warner Bros. Records, and has... more
- 2518Matthew Shafer (born June 6, 1974), also known by his stage name Uncle Kracker, is an American singer-songwriter and musician known for his country and rock music. He was a turntablist for Kid Rock's... more
- 2013Jana Rae Kramer (born December 2, 1983) is an country music singer and actress. She is known for her role as Alex Dupre on the television series One Tree Hill. Kramer began her musical career in... more
- 1412Joshua Mario Gracin (born October 18, 1980) is an American country music singer. A former member of the United States Marine Corps, he first gained public attention as the fourth-place finalist on... more
- Joy Elizabeth Williams (born November 14, 1982) is an American singer-songwriter. The winner of four Grammy Awards, Williams has released four solo albums and four EPs since her self-titled debut in... more
- Amos Garrett (born November 26, 1941, in Detroit, Michigan, United States) is an American-Canadian blues and blues-rock musician, guitarist, singer, composer, and musical arranger. He has written... more
- John David Souther (born November 2, 1945) is an American singer and songwriter. He has written and co-written songs recorded by Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles.... more
- William Knight "Bill" Kirchen (born June 29, 1948) is an American rockabilly guitarist, singer and songwriter. He was a member of Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen from 1967 to the mid-1970s... more
- Johnny Powers is an American guitar player, singer, writer and producer specializing in rockabilly. Powers is best known for his 1957 recording on the now-defunct Fox Records label entitled “Long... more
- Pete Anderson is an American guitarist, music producer, arranger and songwriter. Anderson is most known for his guitar work with, and critically acclaimed production of, country music star Dwight... more
- Stephen Cochran (born September 17, 1979) is an American country music singer and songwriter. In 2009 Stephen was named as a spokesman for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)... more
- Anita Renee Cockerham (born February 6, 1967), known professionally as Anita Cochran, is ACM, CMA Nominated American country music singer, songwriter, guitarist and record producer. Signed to Warner... more
- Paul V. Franklin (born May 31, 1954 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American multi-instrumentalist, known mainly for his work as a steel guitarist. He began his career in the 1970s as a member of Barbara... more
- Randy Barlow (born March 29, 1943 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American country music recording artist. Between 1976 and 1983, he released four albums, including three for Republic Records. In the... more
- 25Blanche is an American alternative country band from Detroit, Michigan. Their music is based in Americana, early country, and folk blues, with a touch of haunting Southern Gothic stylings and garage... more
- Harlan Perry Howard (September 8, 1927 – March 3, 2002) was an American songwriter, principally in country music. In a career spanning six decades, Howard wrote a many popular and enduring songs,... more
- Leroy Maxey Drumm was born in Algonac, Michigan is an American and a bluegrass/country music songwriter who served in the United States Navy, in the 3rd Division as a sonar man aboard the USS Soley,... more
- Steven Frederic Seagal (born April 10, 1952) is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, martial artist, and musician who holds American, Serbian, and Russian citizenship. Seagal was born in... more