UPDATED: Check out the Best New Mini-Series in 2021!
Miniseries in 2020 may be short but still have big ambitions. With the flexibility of streaming services and the eagerness of traditional television channels to experiment, there's nothing limited about limited series, and even with one season they are some of the best shows in 2020.
From documentary miniseries to dramas with a defined beginning and end - such as the adaptation of Little Fires Everywhere - there's something surprisingly freeing about knowing a TV show only has so many episodes. Though some limited series are parts of stories that can be continued in other, new miniseries (such as with The New Pope, the follow up to The Young Pope), each one is still a complete object on its own. In these days of bingeing Netflix, it can be nice to know there's an end in sight and that the end of the season is truly the end of the story.
Whether you call them "limited series" or the old-fashioned "miniseries," the options available in 2020 are some of the best yet. Vote up the best series with a limited run of episodes that are airing for the first time in 2020.
Vote on the 2020 best new limited series here!
- Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu, 2020) is an American TV mini-series based on Celeste Ng's novel. The eight-part limited series tells the story of the picture-perfect Richardson family and an enigmatic mother and daughter upend their lives.... more
29785Love this limited series?
- Actors: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington, Rosemarie DeWitt, Joshua Jackson, Lexi Underwood
- Photo: HBOThe Undoing (HBO, 2020) is an American drama miniseries created by David E. Kelley, based on the novel You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Weeks before her book is published, successful therapist Grace Sachs (Nicole Kidman) experiences a violent death, a missing husband, and a chain of terrible revelations.... more
14420Love this limited series?
- Actors: Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland, Noah Jupe
- The Outsider (HBO, 2020) is an American miniseries based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King. A police procedural that shifts to a horror novel, the story follows multiple characters in a small town.... more
26590Love this limited series?
- Actors: Ben Mendelsohn, Cynthia Erivo, Bill Camp, Mare Winningham, Paddy Considine
- Unorthodox (Netflix, 2020) is a German drama television series created by Anna Winger and directed by Maria Schrader based on the novel of the same name by Deborah Feldman. It follows the story of a young ultra-Orthodox Jewish woman who flees her arranged marriage and religious community to start a new life abroad.... more
18465Love this limited series?
- Actors: Jeff Wilbusch, Amit Rahav, Maria Schrader