The Best Musical Artists From Missouri
Here are the best artists and bands from Missouri. The Midwest state has played an important role in America's music development over the centuries with St. Louis playing a vital role in the formation of jazz and blues. The state is also the birthplace of plenty of notable musicians, including Lester Young and Charlie Parker. Chuck Berry was also born in St. Louis, and the city is where ragtime grew in influence. Without St. Louis, the musical scene in the United States would look very different, and that is why it is so important to recognize the best musical artists from Missouri.
The versatility of Missouri can be seen in all of the amazing acts that have come out of the Show Me State. Rock bands from Story of the Year to Ludo. Many popular rappers, such as Akon and Nelly, also came from the area. You will even find artists who play folk, country, and so much more on this list. The most famous Missouri musical artists are quite expansive, and you may learn some fun trivia about your favorite acts. Other popular Missouri artists include Chingy, Sheryl Crow, Puddle of Mudd, and Ike & Tina Turner.
Peruse this list to get a better sense of how Missouri has contributed greatly to the country's musical scene. Vote for your favorite artists who grew up by the Ozarks.
Charles Edward Anderson Berry (October 18, 1926 – March 18, 2017) was an American singer and songwriter, and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. With songs such as "Maybellene" (1955), "Roll ...more
- Albums: The Great Twenty-Eight, Maybellene, Two Great Guitars, Rock, Rock
Cornell Iral Haynes Jr. (born November 2, 1974), known professionally as Nelly, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, entrepreneur, investor, and occasional actor from St. Louis, Missouri. Nelly ...more
- Albums: Nellyville, Country Grammar, Sweat, Da Derrty Versions: The Reinvention, Sweat / Suit
Sheryl Suzanne Crow (born February 11, 1962) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and actress. Her music incorporates elements of pop, rock, country, jazz, and blues. She has released ten ...more
- Albums: Sheryl Crow, The Globe Sessions, Tuesday Night Music Club, The Very Best Of (Bradypus Series), Feels Like Home
Ike & Tina Turner were an American musical duo composed of the husband-and-wife team of Ike Turner and Tina Turner. The duo started as an offshoot splinter act from Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm ...more
- Albums: River Deep - Mountain High, The Soul Anthology, Bold Soul Sister: The Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings, Proud Mary: The Best of Ike and Tina Turner, Nutbush City Limits
William James "Count" Basie (; August 21, 1904 – April 26, 1984) was an American jazz pianist, organist, bandleader, and composer. In 1935, Basie formed his own jazz orchestra, the Count Basie ...more
- Albums: Ella & Basie: On the Sunny Side of the Street, April in Paris, One O'Clock Jump, Basie, Satch & Josh... Again
Charles Parker Jr. (August 29, 1920 – March 12, 1955), also known as Yardbird and Bird, was an American jazz saxophonist and composer. Parker was a highly influential jazz soloist and a leading ...more
- Albums: Portrait, Bird: The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve, The Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948, Bluebird, Jazz at Massey Hall