The Best Characters On Modern Family
With 22 Emmy Awards and 75 nominations, ABC's Modern Family established itself as one of TV's best sitcoms through its sharp dialogue, relatable storylines, and most of all, great characters. For eight seasons, Modern Family's hilarious family members have made fans empathize, laugh, and cry, becoming some of TV's most memorable personalities. This list features the very best characters on Modern Family.
Ty Burrell, Eric Stonestreet, and Julie Bowen have each won two Emmys for their performances as Phil Dunphy, Cameron Tucker, and Claire Dunphy, respectively. However, Modern Family has also won four SAG Awards for Best Ensemble Cast thanks to comedy stars Sofía Vergara, Ed O'Neill, Sarah Hyland, Rico Rodriguez, Ariel Winter, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and Nolan Gould. We also can't forget about the show's many guest stars, like Benjamin Bratt, Elizabeth Banks, and Adam DeVine.
Vote up who you think are the best characters on Modern Family. You can vote for your favorite Modern Family characters, the funniest characters, or even the best written characters. Feel free to add any Modern Family characters missing from this list regardless of how many episodes they appeared in.
- Photo: flickr / CC012,593 VOTES
- Dance until your feet hurt, sing until your lungs hurt, act until you're William Hurt.
- I’m the cool dad, that’s my thang. I’m hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud. OMG: oh my God. WTF: why the face.
- Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration, and 2% attention to detail.
- Actor: Ty Burrell
- 21,888 VOTES
- I don't trust lakes. Where I come from this is where we dump drugs and dead bodies.
- Comfort is not everything. My toes have been numb since my Quinceanera.
- What happened to him? He didn't used to be that self-conscious before high school. He used to go around in his poncho, play the band flute. I miss my old Manny.
- Actor: Sofía Vergara
- 31,791 VOTES
- No one wants your stupid science, Alex!
- I gotta stop talking to that kid while I'm drinking.
- The minute they got rid of rotary phones, everything went to hell.
- Actor: Ed O'Neill
- Photo: satin_shirt / Flickr41,653 VOTES
- Sweetheart I would love to be wrong, but I don't live with the right people for that.
- Kids these days get trophies just for showing up. What's that gonna lead to? A bunch of thirty year olds living at home.
- Your kids don't need to know who you were before you had them; they need to know who you wish you were, and try to live up to that person. They're gonna fall short, but better they fall short of the fake you than the real you.
- Actor: Julie Bowen
- 51,905 VOTES
- You'll get a donut when I get answers, you piece of trash.
- Let's face it, like Drew Barrymore, I am an adorable fire starter.
- I know I know, you hear football coach and you expect to see somebody who screams John Wayne. Meanwhile the only time I’ve screamed the Duke is when we’ve argued over who’s the cutest on Downton Abbey.
- Actor: Eric Stonestreet
- 61,469 VOTES
- I can't go to jail. I'm a gay prosecutor, there's no prison gangs for that!
- We should be careful, this market might be a trick to get a whole bunch of white people together in one spot.
- It is really nice to be liked for who you really are pretending to be.
- Actor: Jesse Tyler Ferguson