It’s safe to say that none of us would be reading (or writing) this if it weren’t moms. They feed us, listen to us when we’ve had a bad day, and in the case of the moms on this list, sometimes they fight along side The Avengers in a secret war against the Skrulls. In the world of comic books, a mother can be many things; someone who found a baby in her corn field, an aunt who takes care of her nerdy nephew, or sometimes a mom can even be the same person but older and from another universe. In every example, a mother is someone who cares deeply for their progeny, even if they’re kind of a jerk about it. We think we’ve put together the best moms in comic history on this list, take a look and see what you think.
With Mother’s Day just around the corner we’ve decided to honor the best moms in comic book history, and not just because our moms would be really upset with us if we didn’t. If we could, we’d buy all the mothers on this list a bouquet of flowers. But since we’re not crazy people we’ve decided that ranking their abilities as a mother to be the next best thing. To be fair, there’s not really a “worst mom” on this list. Raising a kid is tough, even in the funny papers.Vote on which comic book mom you think is the best, then give your mom a call, she’d love to hear from you.
- Photo: Marvel ComicsIf you tell us that Aunt May isn't Peter's mom we will windmill kick you in the face. Whether she's a doddering old woman or a sassy 50 year old, she's the woman on whom Pete depends above everyone else. He even chose her over his insanely hot supermodel wife in that awful "One More Day" storyline.Are they one of the best?
- Photo: Superman: Secret Origin / DC ComicsMartha Kent is basically the Superman of moms. If you need proof of this statement, realize that she raised the most powerful being on the planet and made sure that he turned out to not be a total dick.
Are they one of the best?
- Appears In: Smallville, Superman: Brainiac Attacks, Man of Steel, Superman Returns, Batman vs. Superman
Sue RichardsPhoto: Fantastic Four (2012-2014) / Marvel ComicsNot only is she the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four, but she's a mother to her kids Franklin and Valeria, as well as to the rest of the team (which is weird because she's married to one of them, another is her brother, and the third guy has an unrequited crush on her). One of her greatest strengths over the years has been her devotion to the people that she loves, and she makes certain that her families - both immediate and extended - are safe as she can make them.Are they one of the best?
- Photo: Jessica Jones / Marvel ComicsDuring Marvel's "Secret Invasion," Jessica Jones was faced with a real Sophie's Choice when she and Luke Cage had to go into hiding after they chose not to register as superheroes following "Civil War." After a massive attack at the base she's staying at, she chooses to register as a mutant in order to save her child. We can't think of a bigger sacrifice than hanging out with Tony Stark.
Are they one of the best?
- Appears In: Marvel Universe
- Powers & Abilities: Flight