Some of the most glamorous, flashy films of all time are about gambling. Las Vegas, Atlantic City, the thrill of taking a huge risk and losing it all or winning big in a shower of coins and chips, put on your best poker face and tuck into one of the best movies about gambling.
The movies on this list all have stories about gambling in one way or another – whether it’s building up a strategy to score big in Vegas like in Ocean’s Eleven or detailing every aspect of being an owner of one of these money-making businesses like in the hit Martin Scorsese film, Casino.
This list has the best gambling movies of all time including: The Hustler, The Sting, Rounders, Let it Ride, Silver Linings Playbook, Two for the Money, House of Games, and Rain Man.Play the odds and vote up your favorite gambling film or vote down the movies you think are bluffing.
- Mississippi Grind is a 2015 American drama film directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. Down on his luck and facing financial hardship, Gerry (Ben Mendelsohn) teams up with younger charismatic poker ...more
- Dapper Danny Ocean (George Clooney) is a man of action. Less than 24 hours into his parole from a New Jersey penitentiary, the wry, charismatic thief is already rolling out his next plan. Following ...more
- In early-1970s Las Vegas, low-level mobster Sam "Ace" Rothstein (Robert De Niro) gets tapped by his bosses to head the Tangiers Casino. At first, he's a great success in the job, but over the years, ...more
- When car dealer Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) learns that his estranged father has died, he returns home to Cincinnati, where he discovers that he has an autistic older brother named Raymond (Dustin ...more
- Mike McDermott (Matt Damon) loses his money in a poker game against Russian gangster Teddy "KGB" (John Malkovich). Under pressure from his girlfriend, Jo (Gretchen Mol), he promises to quit gambling. ...more
- Former pool hustler "Fast Eddie" Felson (Paul Newman) decides he wants to return to the game by taking a pupil. He meets talented but green Vincent Lauria (Tom Cruise) and proposes a partnership. As ...more
- Story Fast Eddie Felsen (Paul Newman) and his adventures in the world of professional pool. Fast Eddie is a young hopeful on his way to challenging Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason) for his world ...more
- 21 is a 2008 American drama film directed by Robert Luketic and stars Jim Sturgess, Kevin Spacey, Laurence Fishburne, Kate Bosworth, Liza Lapira, Jacob Pitts, and Aaron Yoo. The film is inspired by ...more
- Following the murder of a mutual friend, aspiring con man Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) teams up with old pro Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) to take revenge on the ruthless crime boss responsible, ...more
- A charismatic jeweler makes a high-stakes bet that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime. In a precarious high-wire act, he must balance business, family and adversaries on all sides in pursuit of ...more
- Young poker player Eric Stoner (Steve McQueen), also known as the "Cincinnati Kid," wants to build his reputation by beating the best player around, Lancey "The Man" Howard (Edward G. Robinson). ...more
- A case of mistaken identity puts a man named Slevin (Josh Hartnett) in the middle of a war between two rival New York crime lords: The Rabbi (Ben Kingsley) and the Boss (Morgan Freeman). While under ...more
- After successfully robbing five casinos in one night, Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his crew of thieves have big problems. Despite pulling off one of the biggest heists in Las Vegas history, the ...more
- Eddy (Nick Moran) convinces three friends to pool funds for a high-stakes poker game against local crime boss Hatchet Harry (P.H. Moriarty). Harry cheats and Eddy loses, giving him a week to pay back ...more
- Let It Ride is a 1989 American comedy film directed by Joe Pytka and starring Richard Dreyfuss, David Johansen, Teri Garr, Jennifer Tilly, Cynthia Nixon and Robbie Coltrane. It was written by Nancy ...more
- Toronto bank employee Dan Mahowny (Philip Seymour Hoffman) seems like an honest man to his coworkers and loving girlfriend, Belinda (Minnie Driver). None of them realize that he is actually a ...more
- A stranger (Philip Baker Hall) mentors a young Reno gambler (John C. Reilly) who weds a hooker (Gwyneth Paltrow) and befriends a vulgar casino regular.
- New York City English professor Axel Freed (James Caan) outwardly seems like an upstanding citizen. But privately Freed is in the clutches of a severe gambling addiction that threatens to destroy ...more
- A former college athlete (Matthew McConaughey) joins forces with a sports consultant (Al Pacino) to handicap football games for high-rolling gamblers.
- Cousins Paulie (Eric Roberts) and Charlie (Mickey Rourke) plan to rob a merchant in the New York City neighborhood that's home to the restaurant where they work. When their scheme results in the ...more
- Croupier is a 1998 British film starring Clive Owen as a croupier, and was directed by Mike Hodges. It was the released on DVD by Alliance Atlantis in Canada and Image Entertainment in the USA. The ...more
- Illegal boxing promoter Turkish (Jason Statham) convinces gangster Brick Top (Alan Ford) to offer bets on bare-knuckle boxer Mickey (Brad Pitt) at his bookie business. When Mickey does not throw his ...more
- When Sally Matthews (Susan Sarandon) leaves her Canadian home to relocate to Atlantic City, she aspires to a prosperous career in the gambling industry. With her criminal husband (Robert Joy) on her ...more
- The Gambler is a 1997 film directed by Károly Makk.
- A gambler attempts to give guidance to a young man who is out for revenge against a mutual enemy.