This list contains information on the best films about grief, ranked from best to worst by user votes. The best films about grief come in many forms. Some movies about grieving death are about losing a spouse while other good movies about grief are about the death of a child. Many of the best grief movies feature award-winning actors.
What films will you find on this top movies about grief list? Ghost has to be near the top. Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze star as a couple whose afterlife romance inspired movie-goers in 1990. Whoopi Goldberg even won an Academy Award for her performance as the match-making medium in the film. Ordinary People is another good movie about grief.
In the Bedroom examines how grief can quickly turn into revenge. Other good films about grieving death include The Door in the Floor, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and The Lovely Bones.
Do you have a favorite movie about grief? Give the best films a thumbs up and please add any good features we may have missed.
- 4717Ghost is a 1990 American romantic fantasy/crime thriller film starring Patrick Swayze, Demi... more
- 3510Manchester by the Sea is a 2016 American drama film directed and written by Kenneth Lonergan.... more
- 3210What Dreams May Come is a 1998 American fantasy drama film, starring Robin Williams, Cuba... more
- 3516P.S. I Love You is a 2007 American drama film directed by Richard LaGravenese. The screenplay... more
- 2811In Reign Over Me, two former college roommates Charlie Fineman (Adam Sandler) and Alan Johnson... more
- 248Gladiator is a 2000 American-British epic historical drama film directed by Ridley Scott,... more
- 3016Ordinary People is a 1980 American drama film that marked the directorial debut of actor... more
- 2511Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a 2011 American drama film adaptation of the novel of... more
- 2817The Lovely Bones is a 2009 supernatural drama film directed by Peter Jackson and stars Mark... more
- 2311John Wick is a 2014 American action thriller film directed by Chad Stahelski and David Leitch.... more
- 2312Moonlight Mile is a 2002 American romantic drama film written and directed by Brad Silberling.... more
- 2314The Descendants is a 2011 American drama film directed by Alexander Payne. The screenplay by... more
- 1911A Single Man is a 2009 American drama film based on the novel of the same name by Christopher... more
- 1712The Grey is a 2011 American survival thriller co-written, produced and directed by Joe... more
- 136In the Bedroom is a 2002 American drama film directed by Todd Field, and dedicated to Andre... more
- 126Gone Baby Gone is a 2007 American neo-noir mystery thriller film directed by Ben Affleck,... more
- 1611Proof is a 2005 American drama film directed by John Madden and starring Gwyneth Paltrow,... more
- 149This film is a 2004 British psychological thriller film written and directed by Shane Meadows,... more
- 1915Catch and Release is a 2007 romantic comedy film released by Columbia Pictures. It is the... more
- 139The Sweet Hereafter is a 1997 Canadian drama film written and directed by Atom Egoyan, adapted... more
- 1713Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is a 2010 fantasy film directed by David Yates... more
- 1411Collateral Beauty is a 2016 American drama film directed by David Frankel and written by Allan... more
- 128We Bought a Zoo is a 2011 American family comedy-drama film loosely based on the 2008 memoir... more
Rabbit HoleNicole Kidman, Sandra OhRabbit Hole is a 2010 American drama film starring Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, and Dianne... more
A Ghost StoryCasey Affleck, Rooney MaraA Ghost Story is a 2017 American drama film written and directed by David Lowery. The movie... more