Wall Street. It's exciting, full of drama, money, danger, risk, reward, and characters of all types. It has caused the richest men in the world to become richer, and caused some of the richest men in the world to lose it all. It controls our economy and is rich with untold stories of greed and thrills most of us can't even imagine. This list of the best movies about Wall Street tell all these stories.
Some of the most memorable monologues and scenes in cinematic history take place, or are pertaining to this small stretch in New York City. Naturally, it's a perfect subject and setting for a movie. Be it a fictionalized account of a stock broker, a retelling of current events starring famous actors as Wall Street big wigs, or a straight up documentary, below are the best movies about Wall Street.Vote up your favorite Wall Street films and let the money roll in. Not to you, necessarily, but at least to an already rich Wall Street trader.
- When an analyst uncovers information that could ruin them all, the key players (Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany) at an investment firm take extreme measures to control the damage.
- Financial leaders (William Hurt, Billy Crudup) spring into action when the U.S. economy falters in 2008.
- In 1987, Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio) takes an entry-level job at a Wall Street brokerage firm. By the early 1990s, while still in his 20s, Belfort founds his own firm, Stratton Oakmont. ...more
The Big Short
2015 American biographical comedy-drama film directed by Adam McKay and written by McKay and Charles Randolph, based on the 2010 book The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis about the financial crisis of 2007–2008 which was triggered by the United States housing bubble.
- On the Wall Street of the 1980s, Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen) is a stockbroker full of ambition, doing whatever he can to make his way to the top. Admiring the power of the unsparing corporate raider ...more
- When an office full of New York City real estate salesmen is given the news that all but the top two will be fired at the end of the week, the atmosphere begins to heat up. Shelley Levene (Jack ...more
- Upper-crust executive Louis Winthorpe III (Dan Aykroyd) and down-and-out hustler Billy Ray Valentine (Eddie Murphy) are the subjects of a bet by successful brokers Mortimer (Don Ameche) and Randolph ...more
- Following a long prison term for insider trading, Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) finds himself on the outside looking in at a world he once commanded. Ostensibly hoping to repair his broken ...more
- In New York City in 1987, a handsome, young urban professional, Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), lives a second life as a gruesome serial killer by night. The cast is filled by the detective (Willem ...more
- The global financial meltdown that took place in Fall 2008 caused millions of job and home losses and plunged the United States into a deep economic recession. Matt Damon narrates a documentary that ...more
- A young executive at a shipping and manufacturing conglomerate, Bobby Walker (Ben Affleck) is on the fast track to the top. He is a rising star at work and has all the material trappings of success. ...more
- Welcome to the infamous "boiler room" -- where twenty something millionaires are made overnight. Here, in the inner sanctum of a fly-by-night brokerage firm, hyper-aggressive young stock jocks peddle ...more
- This documentary explores the fall of the Enron Corporation, arguably the most shocking example of modern corporate corruption. The company is linked with several illegal schemes, including ...more
- Detective John McClane (Bruce Willis) is now divorced, alcoholic and jobless after getting fired for his reckless behavior and bad attitude. He is called back into action, however, when a cryptic ...more
- This drama, based on a true story, follows Nick Leeson (Ewan McGregor), a young British man working at Barings, a major investment bank. Sent to Singapore and placed in a position of authority at the ...more
- "Larry the Liquidator" Garfield (Danny DeVito) is a corporate raider, deconstructing companies and selling off the parts for a profit. His new target is a small-town cable company that employs the ...more
- Wolves of Wall Street is a 2002 film directed by David DeCoteau. It came 84 years after the original The Wolf of Wall Street directed by Rowland V. Lee and premièring in 1929.
- Manhattan broker Michael Cromwell (Tim Allen) is engaged to fiancée Charlotte (Lolita Davidovich) but needs a divorce from his estranged wife, Patricia (JoBeth Williams), who's been living in the ...more
- In this adaptation of the Tom Wolfe novel, powerful Wall Street executive Sherman McCoy (Tom Hanks) is riding with his greedy girlfriend, Maria (Melanie Griffith), when she makes a wrong turn and ...more
- Capitalism: A Love Story is a 2009 American documentary film directed, written by and starring Michael Moore. The film centers on the late-2000s financial crisis and the recovery stimulus, while ...more
- It has been eight years since Batman (Christian Bale), in collusion with Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman), vanished into the night. Assuming responsibility for the death of Harvey Dent, Batman ...more