The Best Movies to Watch While Drinking
Let’s say you’re headed back from the bar with your friends, it’s 2 am, and you’re all drunk. After you order pizza and grab a few more cold ones from the fridge, you and buddies decide to put on a good movie to watch while you're drunk. What sort of film will fit the picture? Chances are no one is reaching for Schindler’s List or an Academy Award winner with heavy drama. This is the time to put on a fun movie with a nice easy plot. These are the best movies to watch while drinking or, depending on how late in the night you fire up Netflix, the best movies to watch while you're drunk.
Just because a movie is on this “drunk list,” it doesn’t mean it’s bad. In fact, most of the films listed here are classics in their own way. But if we’re being totally honest, the stupid humor in a comedy like Happy Gilmore or Superbad is going to induce more hearty belly laughs if you’re watching it with your pals after a few sudsy pints, than if you're watching it totally sober.
Most of the movies on this list are comedies. And we’re not talking about the sophisticated, meta-type Woody Allen low chuckle type comedy. These funny films are raunchy and many depict booze-filled debauchery, and toilet humor. Call them low-brow if you must, but that doesn’t mean anything if you're looking for the best movies to drink during an alcohol-filled evening.
Other films on this list are just super cool and entertaining. Anything with the name Quentin Tarantino above the title is going to ooze stylized cinema. And there is never a bad time to watch True Romance.
So raise a glass and make a toast, it’s inebriated movie time. But before you pass out, be sure to upvote your favorite films to watch while drinking, or when you’re already drunk.
- Photo: Superbad / Sony Pictures Releasing1788 VOTESHigh school seniors Seth and Evan have high hopes for a graduation party. The co-dependent teens plan to score booze and babes so they can become part of the in-crowd, but separation anxiety and two bored police officers complicate the pair's self-proclaimed mission.
- Actors: Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader, Seth Rogen
- Released: 2007
- Directed by: Greg Mottola
- Photo: The Hangover / Warner Bros.2638 VOTESTwo days before his wedding, Doug (Justin Bartha) and three friends (Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis) drive to Las Vegas for a wild and memorable stag party. In fact, when the three groomsmen wake up the next morning, they can't remember a thing; nor can they find Doug. With little time to spare, the three hazy pals try to re-trace their steps and find Doug so they can get him back to Los Angeles in time to walk down the aisle.
- Actors: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, Heather Graham
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Todd Phillips
- Photo: American Pie / Universal Pictures3347 VOTESA riotous and raunchy exploration of the most eagerly anticipated -- and most humiliating -- rite of adulthood, known as losing one's virginity. In this hilarious lesson in life, love and libido, a group of friends, fed up with their well-deserved reputations as sexual no-hitters, decide to take action.
- Actors: Jason Biggs, Shannon Elizabeth, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Natasha Lyonne
- Released: 1999
- Directed by: Paul Weitz
- Photo: Old School / DreamWorks Pictures4397 VOTESAfter discovering his girlfriend (Juliette Lewis) has been participating in group sex, attorney Mitch (Luke Wilson) feels his world come undone. He moves into a new place, which happens to be near a college campus, and tries to get his life back together. Two of his best friends, Frank (Will Ferrell) and Beanie (Vince Vaughn), start hanging out at Mitch's house, eventually turning the place into a wild party pad, much to the ire of the college's dean, Gordon "Cheese" Pritchard (Jeremy Piven).
- Actors: Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Jeremy Piven, Ellen Pompeo
- Released: 2003
- Directed by: Todd Phillips
- Photo: Beerfest / Warner Bros.5286 VOTESTwo brothers (Erik Stolhanske, Paul Soter) from America happen upon a secret and centuries-old beer-games competition during a visit to Germany's Oktoberfest. After losing badly, they return to America, assemble an impressive team of brew-lovers and return to Germany for a rematch.
- Actors: Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Erik Stolhanske, Paul Soter, Steve Lemme
- Released: 2006
- Directed by: Jay Chandrasekhar
- 6283 VOTESHotshot television anchorman Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) welcomes upstart reporter Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) into the male-dominated world of 1970s broadcast news -- that is, until the talented female journalist begins to outshine Burgundy on air. Soon he grows jealous, begins a bitter feud with Veronica and eventually makes a vulgar slip on live TV that ruins his career. However, when an outrageous story breaks at the San Diego Zoo, Ron may get a chance to redeem himself.
- Actors: Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner
- Released: 2004
- Directed by: Adam McKay