Good recent drama movies have given audiences lots to think about. The range of topics covered is truly impressive. Whether it's a Best Picture Oscar winner or a love story that captures the ups and downs of life in the entertainment business, there has been plenty of modern dramas to keep viewers riveted over the past few years.
What are the best new drama films? This is your chance to decide. These are the movies that earn accolades from critics and get awards nominations. They feature a multitude of A-list stars. Some are true stories, others fictional tales. Several of them take place in the past, but many are more recent in their settings. All of them tackle compelling subject matter designed to appeal to a wide variety of people.
Vote up your favorites on this list of new drama movies. Check back later for the latest dramas as they are newly released in theaters or on streaming services.
- Parasite is a 2019 South Korean dark comedy thriller film directed by Bong Joon-ho. An unemployed driver (Song Kang-ho) and his out-of-work family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous ...more
- Pieces of a Woman is a 2020 drama film directed by Kornél Mundruczó. Martha (Vanessa Kirby) and Sean Carson (Shia LaBeouf) are a Boston couple on the verge of parenthood whose lives change ...more
- Bad Education is a 2020 American comedy film directed by Cory Finley and is based on the multi-million dollar embezzlement scandal that occurred in New York's Roslyn school district. School ...more
- Jack Malik is a struggling singer-songwriter in an English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie. After a ...more
- Billi's family returns to China under the guise of a fake wedding to stealthily say goodbye to their beloved matriarch -- the only person that doesn't know she only has a few weeks to live.
- Actor Rick Dalton gained fame and fortune by starring in a 1950s television Western, but is now struggling to find meaningful work in a Hollywood that he doesn't recognize anymore. He spends most of ...more
- Behind the Vatican walls, Pope Benedict and the future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.
- In the years after the Civil War, Jo March lives in New York and makes her living as a writer, while her sister Amy studies painting in Paris. Amy has a chance encounter with Theodore, a childhood ...more
- In 1969, seven people were charged by the federal government with conspiracy and more, arising from the protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
- The Father is a 2020 drama film directed by Florian Zeller, based on his 2012 play Le Père. A man (Anthony Hopkins) struggles with aging as his daughter (Olivia Coleman) moves into his apartment with ...more
- The Last Duel is a 2021 historical drama directed by Ridley Scott, it is based on the book, The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial By Combat In Medieval France (2004). Jean de Carrouges (Matt Damon) is ...more
- Sound of Metal is a 2019 American drama film directed by Darius Marder. A former drug addict, drummer Ruben Stone (Riz Ahmed) struggles to accept his hearing loss.
- Radioactive is a 2020 biographical film directed by Marjane Satrapi, based on the graphic novel by Lauren Redniss. A story of the scientific and romantic passions of Marie (Rosamund Pike) and Pierre ...more
- A liberal-minded couple are forced to reconsider their image of their adopted son after he writes a disturbing essay for a class assignment.
- The Dig is a 2020 British biographical drama film directed by Simon Stone, based on the novel of the same name by John Preston. In 1938, an archeologist begins a historically significant excavation ...more
- Judas and the Black Messiah is a 2021 American biographical drama film directed by Shaka King. William O'Neal is a petty criminal in the 1960s who agrees to work as an informant for the FBI in order ...more
- Supernova is a 2020 British drama film directed by Harry Macqueen. Sam (Colin Firth) and Tusker (Stanley Tucci) have been partners for 20 years and decide to travel across Europe reuniting with ...more
- The United States vs. Billie Holiday is a 2020 American biographical drama film directed by Lee Daniels, based on the book Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs by Johann ...more
- Two brokenhearted people give love advice to each other.
- The Good Liar is a 2019 British thriller film directed by Bill Condon, based on the novel by Nicholas Searle. An old conman begins to develop feelings for the woman he has been set up as the mark for ...more
- In 1972, as Vietnam War protests and racial tensions rise, a recent college graduate spends his summer working in a psychiatric hospital where he falls for a beautiful patient.
- Minari is a 2020 American drama film directed by Lee Isaac Chung. A Korean-American family that moves to an Arkansas farm in the 1980s has their life completely changed when their foul-mouthed, sly, ...more
- Born into a tight-knit wrestling family, Paige and her brother Zak are ecstatic when they get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try out for the WWE. But when only Paige earns a spot in the ...more
- Bombshell is a 2019 American drama film directed by Jay Roach. Megyn Kelly (Charlize Theron), Gretchen Carlson (Nicole Kidman), and Kayla Pospisil (Margot Robbie) decide to take on Fox News boss ...more
- The beloved Crawleys and their intrepid staff prepare for the most important moment of their lives. A royal visit from the king and queen of England soon unleashes scandal, romance and intrigue -- ...more