Here are the best artists and bands from New Hampshire. The state is unusual in the fact that it has nine official state songs, including "Old New Hampshire," "The Old Man of the Mountain," and "New Hampshire's Granite State." Perhaps it is this appreciation of music that has led to so many notable musical artists coming out of the state. This list has the most famous artists from New Hampshire that have made it big at home and internationally.
New Hampshire has introduced the world to some of the most extreme heavy metal singers of all time. Ronnie James Dio and GG Allin were both born in the White Mountain State. However, things aren't always so extreme out of New Hampshire. Several pop stars, such as Mandy Moore and Jojo, were born or raised within the state's borders, too. No matter what you like to listen to, there are artists on this list you know and love. Other popular New Hampshire artists and groups include Our Last Night, Ray LaMontagne, Julie Dubela, and The Queers.
Vote up the best New Hampshire artists, and feel free to add any other musicians, rappers, singers, and bands with NH roots.
- Raymond Charles Jack "Ray" LaMontagne (; born June 18, 1973) is an American singer-songwriter and musician. LaMontagne has released seven studio albums, Trouble, Till the Sun Turns Black, Gossip in ...more
- Recycled Percussion is a Manchester, New Hampshire-based band. The group was originally formed in Goffstown, New Hampshire. Formed in 1994 in New Hampshire at their High School talent show, Recycled ...more
- The Shaggs were an American all-female rock group formed in Fremont, New Hampshire in 1968. The band was composed of sisters Dorothy "Dot" Wiggin, Betty Wiggin, Helen Wiggin and, later, Rachel ...more
- Our Last Night is an American post-hardcore band, formed in 2004 by four members, consisting of Trevor Wentworth, Matthew Wentworth, Alex "Woody" Woodrow, Tim Molloy.
- Joanna Noëlle Levesque (born December 20, 1990), known professionally as JoJo, is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Raised in Foxborough, Massachusetts, she began performing in singing ...more
- Amanda Leigh Moore (born April 10, 1984) is an American singer-songwriter and actress. She signed with Epic Records in 1999 and came to fame with the release of her debut single "Candy", which peaked ...more
- Ronald James Padavona (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010) known professionally as Ronnie James Dio or simply Dio, was an American heavy metal singer-songwriter and composer. He fronted or founded numerous ...more
- Dreadnaught is a New Hampshire, United States of America-based experimental rock group that has released 6 full-length albums since its formation in 1996. The band's sound is distinguished by ...more
- Say Zuzu is a roots rock band originally based in Newmarket, New Hampshire. The group was formed in 1992 by brothers Jon and James Nolan, and their longtime friend Cliff Murphy. Though they achieved ...more
- Bill Morrissey (November 25, 1951 – July 23, 2011) was a Grammy-nominated American folk singer-songwriter based in New Hampshire.
- Old Gray was an American emo band from Hooksett and Auburn, New Hampshire.
- Michael Gene Dionne (born September 4, 1985), better known by his stage name Eyenine, is an American hip hop recording artist from Dover, New Hampshire. Eyenine began writing and recording music at ...more
- Scissorfight is an American four-piece band from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, fronted by singer/songwriter Ironlung. The band has a strong libertarian viewpoint and defines itself as "acid mountain ...more
- The Brave Little Abacus was an American emo band. The band consisted of vocalist, guitarist, and drummer Adam Demirjian, bassist Andrew Ryan, and keyboardist Zach Onett, but were later joined by Nick ...more
- Adam Richard Sandler (born September 9, 1966) is an American actor, comedian, screenwriter, film producer, and musician. After becoming a Saturday Night Live cast member, Sandler went on to star in ...more
- Thomas "Tommy" Makem (4 November 1932 – 1 August 2007) was an internationally celebrated Irish folk musician, artist, poet and storyteller. He was best known as a member of the Clancy Brothers and ...more
- Jon Spencer is a singer, composer and guitarist.
- The Queers are an American punk rock band, formed in 1981 by the Portsmouth, New Hampshire, native Joe Queer, along with Scott Gildersleeve (a.k.a. Tulu), and Jack Hayes (a.k.a. Wimpy Rutherford). ...more
- Patricia Lynn Racette (born 1965) is an American operatic soprano. A winner of the Richard Tucker Award in 1998, she has been a regular presence at major opera houses internationally. Racette has ...more
- Alexander Preston Philbrick, better known as Alex Preston, is an American singer from Mont Vernon, New Hampshire, who was a finalist on the thirteenth season of American Idol, coming in third place.
- And Then There Were None was an American rock band from Salem, New Hampshire. They recorded an independent album before releasing their label debut, Who Speaks for Planet Earth?, on Tooth & Nail ...more
- Alexander Martin Barr (born January 21, 1968) has been the lead singer of the Dropkick Murphys since 1998. He was also a founder and lead singer for The Bruisers, which he helped form in 1988 in ...more
- The Bruisers were pioneers of the American streetpunk/oi! movement, formed in Portsmouth, New Hampshire in 1988. The original lineup included: Al Barr, Scotty Davies, Jeff Morris and Rodger Shosa. ...more
- Wild Light is an American four-piece indie rock band from New Hampshire, United States, composed of multi-instrumentalists/vocalists Tim Kyle and Seth Pitman, guitarist/vocalist Jordan Alexander, and ...more
- Dustin Lancy Farnum (May 27, 1874 – July 3, 1929) was an American singer, dancer, and actor on the stage and in silent films. Although he played a wide variety of roles, he tended toward westerns and ...more