These are the best new docuseries on HBO. Whether you're looking for deep dives on historical events or thoughtful documentary shows, this list is regularly updated with the most recent HBO docuseries. What are the best recent documentary series to watch on HBO or HBO Max?
With a history of some of the most memorable miniseries ever HBO brings its signature style and investigative chops to documentaries. One of the best recent docuseries, The Vow, is a gripping true crime documentary on NXIVM, while Heaven's Gate: The Cult of Cults is another cult docuseries. Other fascinating HBO documentaries include Allen v. Farrow and Tiger. Although most HBO documentaries are miniseries, shows like 100 Foot Wave and Painting With John have been renewed for new seasons. Since HBO Max documentaries end up on HBO and vice-versa, it can sometimes be just a matter of time before your favorite new docuseries is available to watch.
Of the most recent docuseries on HBO, which are the best? Help decide and vote up the best documentary shows on HBO - and find out where your favorite shows rank.
- The Vow (HBO, 2020) is an American true crime documentary television series created by Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer. The documentary series takes viewers through the experiences of the members of the NXIVM, an organization and sex cult who made headlines for being charged with sex trafficking and racketeering conspiracy. ...more
- Actors: Anthony Ames, Sarah Edmondson, Catherine Oxenberg
- Premiered: August 23, 2020
- Allen v. Farrow (HBO, 2021) is an American documentary miniseries created by Kirby Dick, Amy Ziering and Amy Herdy. The story of one Hollywood's most notorious and public scandals: the accusation of sexual abuse against Woody Allen involving Dylan, his then 7-year-old daughter with Mia Farrow; their subsequent custody trial, the revelation of Allen’s relationship with Farrow’s daughter, Soon-Yi; and the controversial aftermath in the years that followed. ...more
- Actors: Mia Farrow, Fletcher Previn, Dylan O'Sullivan Farrow
- Premiered: February 21, 2021
- McMillions (HBO, 2020) is a crime documentary series directed by James Lee Hernandez and Brian Lazarte. A detailed account of the McDonald's Monopoly game scam during the 1990s as told by the participants in the case, including the prizewinners and the FBI agents who caught the security officer who orchestrated the entire scheme. ...more
- Actors: Daniel Peera, Michael C. Pizzuto, Alistair David Herz, Nicholas Adam Clark, William Daubert
- Premiered: February 3, 2020
- Painting with John (HBO, 2021) is an American docu-reality series created by John Lurie. The series features part meditative tutorial, part fireside chat, musician John Lurie as he shares his philosophical thoughts while honing his watercolor techniques. ...more
- Actors: John Lurie
- Premiered: January 22, 2021