UPDATED: Check out the Best New TV Shows in 2021!
From thrilling new dramas to musical comedies or thrilling sci-fi, the best 2020 TV premieres didn't wait a moment to start the year off right. The best new shows of 2020 were some great TV and highly anticipated, including series that had been expected in 2019 but were pushed back into the new year, like HBO's The New Pope.
Right on the dawn of the new year, 2020 started with the Netflix original series Messiah, and although many of the first new shows of the year were heavy dramas or procedurals, Zoe’s Extraordinary Playlist swept in with a song to bring some light to the new year. New sitcoms like Outmatched will definitely keep you grinning, while reboots like Party Of Five and new additions to franchises, such as Star Trek: Picard, add a fresh layer onto already loved stories that feels very appropriate for 2020. As the year went on, more comforting shows like Ted Lasso or Dash & Lily became the faves, but they were balanced by heavy science fiction such as Raised By Wolves and horror like Lovecraft Country.
What were the best new series of 2020? Vote up the most excellent programs of the year.
- An orphan struggles with addiction in a quest to become the greatest chess player in the world.
- An American football coach is hired to manage a British soccer team.
- Chronicling Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls' quest for a sixth NBA championship in 1998.
- The cast and crew look at the making of the science fiction series, "The Mandalorian."
- Unorthodox (Netflix, 2020) is a German drama television series created by Anna Winger and directed by Maria Schrader based on the novel of the same name by Deborah Feldman. It follows the story of a ...more
- The intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and an enigmatic mother and daughter.
- Bridgerton siblings strive to find love during England's Regency era.
- John Wilson embarks on an odyssey of self-discovery and cultural observation of fellow New Yorkers.
- A flight attendant wakes up in a hotel room with a dead man but no memory of what happened.
- The Warner siblings wreak havoc in the lives of everyone they meet.
- A young governess arrives at Bly Manor and begins to see apparitions haunting the estate.
- An examination of how convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein carried out his abuses.
- Atticus Black embarks on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father.
- A genre-bending, anti-historical ride through 18th-century Russia.
- Love on the Spectrum (Netflix, 2020) is an American documentary television series executive produced by Karina Holden. This four-part documentary series follows young adults on the autism spectrum as ...more
- A respected judge's son is involved in a hit-and-run that leads to a high-stakes game of lies.
- A boy's murder prompts questions about the system's protection of vulnerable children.
- The journey from first love to last love and the people along the way.
- An ex-cop turned security officer rigs the McDonald's Monopoly game promotion for a decade.
- Following their father's murder, three siblings move into a house filled with reality-bending keys.
- Following the lives of identical twin brothers in a story of betrayal, sacrifice and forgiveness.
- Investigators are confounded over an unspeakable crime that's been committed.
- After being sexually assaulted in a nightclub, Arabella's life changes irreversibly.
- A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death.
- Ten amateur potters from all around the United Kingdom compete to become top potter.