List of the best authors of all time as voted on by normal, book-loving people. For this list, we will consider writers who are mainly novelists. Many of the people included on this list are famous authors who wrote popular books; others may not be as well-known, but are masters of their craft.
The most popular authors are ones that have somehow enriched our lives. J.D. Salinger gave us Holden Caulfield and the term "phony," James Joyce introduced us to stream-of-consciousness prose and Carson McCullers immortalized the misfits and outcasts of the U.S. South in the first half of the 20th century.The best writers are ones that changed the literary landscape in some way, introduced an iconic character, experimented with form and style and captured our imagination with their language.
While lists of "best novelists" are often attempted by individuals, they can be easily disputed because they often amount to no more than one person's opinion. Since this Ranker list is crowdsourced and open to voting, it benefits from the collective wisdom of many rather than the whims of a few.Feel free to vote on this list of top authors, add some that may have been left off, or ReRank this list entirely.
- 2,071729The Double and Notes from the Underground
- 1,574543War and Peace, Anna Karenina
- 1,500631Animal Farm, Nineteen Eighty-Four
- 1,070342Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice (No, not the zombie version)
- 1,325566Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, gambler, traveler and all-around funny dude.
- 1,684718Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities
- 1,371611Member of the "Lost generation" and author of The Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls
- 1,512660Author of the classic high fantasy works The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Fellowship of the Ring
- 963375Les Misérables, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- 890380As I Lay Dying, Light in August, The Sound and the Fury, Absalom, Absalom!
- 787354Don Quixote
- 933427Ulysses, Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- 641281Love in the Time of Cholera, One Hundred Years of Solitude
- 679287Heart of Darkness, Lord Jim
- 1,152587One of the great American writers you were forced to read in High School and probably didn't come to appreciate until later in life. Most famous for The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Of Mice And Men, Tortilla Flat
- 463174Author of Frankenstein = All you need to know
- 540232Brave New World, The Doors of Perception, Island
- 666329Journey to the Center of the earth
- 755379Mrs. Dalloway, A Room of One's Own, The Waves
- 1,059588The Trial, The Metamorphosis, The Castle