What are the best opening acts you've ever seen? These are the bands and musicians that blew you away, making you a fan for life, even though they were only the opening act for some bigger, more well-known headliner. Almost everyone who's been to tons of concerts has seen one or two acts that truly stood out (in some cases, eclipsing the headline act).
Whether it's Kings of Leon (who opened, notably, for U2 several years ago) or the Foo Fighters ( who opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers), this list includes them all. Or it will: Add the opening acts that you think were the best you've ever seen, so all of us can go "Huh, really? Didn't know they were ever an opener..."
Some of the biggest names in music today have, at one time or another, opened for someone else. Curious? Check out this list of the strangest opening act bookings in music history. See? Even Prince made it: He opened, just once, for The Rolling Stones. Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees?!
Makes you want to pay closer attention and arrive earlier for that next big concert, doesn't it? Exactly. Because while headline acts don't ever want to be bested by their openers, they also want the opening acts to warm the audience up properly and get them into a festive mood.Hopefully everyone will contribute some of their favorite opening concert acts to this list. Don't be shy: Jump on in! This list includes all music -- rock, folk, country, R&B, rap, you name it.
- 350156opened for the moody blues,
- 12173Opened for Pavement on the reunion tour
Opened Up For Alice Cooper
- 201194Opened for Black Sabbath in Pittsburgh. Roth spent more energy jumping across the stage than he did on singing.
- 242246Opened for Kiss
- Opened for the 10,000 Maniacs
- 6255Opened for the Avett Brothers
- Opened for The Monkees
- 175205Opened for Guns N' Roses
- 232284Opened for Van Halen
- 6065Opened for UFO. While most opening acts are dismissed out of hand, they left an impression on many of us who were there to see Schenker. A good, tight rock and roll band,
- 7487Opened the World Series of Rock in Cleveland. Late addition to the bill. Possibly their first U.S. Performance.
Opened up for the Scorpions
- 5157Opened for Dio
- 4753Opened for Bruce Springsteen (Vote for Change Tour)
- 347454Opened for Ozzy Osbourne, Guns N' Roses
- 255333Opened for U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers