Over the years, there have been so many great actors and actresses who have won Oscars for portraying classic characters. Some of these best actor Oscar performances were for roles based on real people, while others were based on fictional characters.
Who are some of the best characters to win an Oscar? Randle Patrick McMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest made our list. Jack Nicholson won a Best Actor Academy Award for his portrayal of this not-so-crazy patient in 1975. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was based on the 1962 Ken Kesey book of the same name. Marlon Brando's iconic portrayal of Vito Corleone in the film The Godfather also made our list. Brando took home the Best Actor Oscar in 1972.
Several Best Actress performances also made this list. Julia Robert's portrayal of Erin Brockovich in the film of the same name, earned her an Oscar for Best Actress in 2000. Other Best Actress roles that are featured on this list include Nina Sayers (Natalie Portman) from Black Swan and Clarice Starling (Jody Foster) from The Silence of the Lambs. Halle Berry was the first African American woman to win an Oscar for her performance as Leticia Musgrove in Monster's Ball.Which best actor Oscar-winning performance is your favorite? Vote up your favorite role, and be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section.
- 1Forrest GumpTom Hanks - Best Actor (1994).
Actor: Tom Hanks
J.K. Simmons - Best Supporting Actor (2014)
Actor: J.K. Simmons
- 3PattonGeorge C. Scott- Best Actor (1970)
Actor: Kirk Douglas, George C. Scott
- 4There Will Be BloodDaniel Day-Lewis - Best Actor (2007).
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
- 5AmadeusF. Murray Abraham-Best Actor (1984)
Actor: F. Murray Abraham
- 6The AviatorCate Blanchett - Best Supporting Actress (2004).
Actor: Cate Blanchett
- 7A Streetcar Named Desire, A Streetcar Named DesireVivien Leigh-Best Actress (1951)
Actor: Jessica Lange, Vivien Leigh, Ann-Margret
- 8The UntouchablesSean Connery - Best Supporting Actor (1987)
Actor: Sean Connery
Pvt. TripGloryDenzel Washington - Best Supporting Actor (1989).
Actor: Denzel Washington
- 10GoodfellasJoe Pesci - Best Supporting Actor (1990).
Actor: Joe Pesci
- 11The King's SpeechColin Firth-Best Actor (2010)
Actor: Colin Firth
- 12The QueenHelen Mirren-Best Actress (2006)
Actor: Helen Mirren
- 13The Theory of EverythingEddie Redmayne-Best Actor (2014)
- 14CapotePhilip Seymour Hoffman - Best Actor (2005).
Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
- 15Black SwanNatalie Portman - Best Actress (2010).
Actor: Natalie Portman
- 16The HelpOctavia Spencer - Best Supporting Actress (2011).
Actor: Octavia Spencer
- 17FargoFrances McDormand - Best Actress (1996).
Actor: Frances McDormand
- 18Dear Friend HitlerBen Kingsley - Best Actor (1982)
Actor: Avijit Dutt
- 19The Miracle WorkerPatty Duke - Best Supporting Actress (1962).
Actor: Patty Duke
- 20PhiladelphiaTom Hanks - Best Actor (1993).
Actor: Tom Hanks
- 21Django UnchainedChristoph Waltz - Best Supporting Actor (2012).
Actor: Christoph Waltz
- 22Mary PoppinsJulie Andrews -- Best Actress (1964)
Actor: Julie Andrews
- 23MiseryKathy Bates - Best Actress (1990).
Actor: Kathy Bates
- 24The Bridge on the River Kwai
Alec Guinness - Best Actor (1957)
Actor: Alec Guinness
- 25Boys Don't CryHilary Swank - Best Actress (1999).
Actor: Hilary Swank