The best PG anime movies are great for audiences of all ages, unlike super violent animes such as Attack on Titan. They provide a great introduction for viewers that have never seen anime ever before, and don’t require a big time commitment like TV shows. When it comes to which PG anime movies are the best, the general consensus is that Hayao Miyazaki creates some of the best PG anime films of all time. But are his works really the best? See what anime and film fans think in the rankings below.
Certainly, Miyazaki is a prolific creator, with plenty of classic anime movies under his belt over the last three decades. If you’ve ever heard of the movies Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, or Castle in the Sky, then you’ve heard of Miyazaki’s works. He typically both writes and directs his movies, which gives him much more creative control than other film directors.
In fact, there’s a story of Miyazaki sending Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein a samurai sword accompanied with a note saying “No cuts” in regards to the North American adaptation of Princess Mononoke. The reason being that Weinstein has a reputation of heavily cutting and editing movies for the sake of budget. When Miyazaki was asked whether or not the sword story was apocryphal, he responded that it was true with the exception being that it was his producer that sent the sword and not himself. No matter who sent the sword though, at least American audiences had the opportunity to see the movie as it was intended.
But this list isn’t just about Hayao Miyazaki—there are plenty of other gifted anime film producers and directors. One in particular is Satoshi Kon, who unfortunately passed while in the prime of his career. If you are a fan of Kon’s films, then vote for his best movies below.
If you don’t see a particular film listed below that you think qualifies as being among the best PG anime movie of all time, then please add it. Also, use this list if you're looking for some new anime movies that are rated PG. Between Netflix, Hulu and other services there are thousands of great anime movies rated PG, so get out there and start watching.
- 12814Spirited Away is a 2001 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. The film stars Rumi Hiiragi, Miyu Irino, Mari Natsuki, Takeshi Naito,... more
- 10116Howl's Moving Castle is a 2004 Japanese animated fantasy film scripted and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The film is based on the novel of the same name by British writer Diana Wynne Jones. The film... more
- Castle in the Sky is a 1986 Japanese animated adventure film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and is also the first film produced and released by Studio Ghibli. The film was distributed by Toei... more
- My Neighbor Totoro is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. The film – which stars the voice actors Noriko Hidaka, Chika... more
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is a 1984 Japanese animated post-apocalyptic fantasy adventure film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, based on his own 1982 manga of the same name. Isao... more
- 4712Ponyo, initially titled in English as Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, is a 2008 Japanese animated fantasy comedy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli and Toho. It is Miyazaki's... more
- When Marnie Was There is a 2014 Japanese anime film written and directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, produced by Studio Ghibli, and based on the novel When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson. It was... more
- 2610Summer Wars is a 2009 Japanese animated science fiction film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, animated by Madhouse and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film's voice cast includes Ryunosuke Kamiki,... more
- 2011Porco Rosso is a 1992 Japanese animated adventure film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is based on Hikōtei Jidai, a three-part watercolor manga by Miyazaki. The film stars the voices... more
- 5313Wolf Children is a 2012 Japanese supernatural anime film directed by Mamoru Hosoda. After her werewolf lover unexpectedly dies in an accident while hunting for food for their children, a young woman... more
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Pyramid of Light, later released in Japan as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Pyramid of Light is a 2004 Japanese-American anime adventure fantasy film produced by Nihon Ad Systems based... more
- From Up on Poppy Hill is a 2011 Japanese animated drama film directed by Gorō Miyazaki, based on the 1980 serialized Japanese comic of the same name illustrated by Chizuru Takahashi and written by... more
- Dragon Ball Z: Broly – Second Coming, known in Japan as The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors Never Rest, is the tenth Dragon Ball Z feature movie. It was released in Japan on March 12, 1994 at the Toei... more
- Your Name is a 2016 Japanese animated drama film directed by Makoto Shinkai. A high school girl in rural Japan and a high school boy in Tokyo experience a strange phenomenon: they occasionally swap... more
- Millennium Actress is a 2001 Japanese anime film by director Satoshi Kon and animated by the Studio Madhouse. It tells the story of a documentary filmmaker investigating the life of an elderly... more
- 1211Astro Boy is a 2009 American-Hong Konger-Chinese computer-animated action film loosely based on the manga and anime series of the same name by the Japanese writer and illustrator Osamu Tezuka. It was... more
Mary and the Witch's FlowerMary and the Witch's Flower is a 2018 Japanese anime fantasy film directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, based on The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart. A young girl encounters a strange flower that... more
- Jungle Emperor Leo, known in Japan as Jungle Emperor The Movie is a 1997 animated movie focusing on the last half of Osamu Tezuka's manga, Jungle Taitei.... more
Pom PokoPom Poko is a 1994 Japanese animated fantasy film, the eighth written and directed by Isao Takahata and animated by Studio Ghibli. Consistent with Japanese folklore, the tanuki are portrayed as a... more
A Letter to MomoA Letter to Momo is a 2011 Japanese anime drama film written and directed by Hiroyuki Okiura. It is produced by the animation studio Production I.G. This film follows the 11-year-old Momo, who has a... more
My Neighbors the YamadasMy Neighbors the Yamadas is a 1999 Japanese animated comedy film written and directed by Isao Takahata and produced by Studio Ghibli. The film stars Hayato Isobata, Masako Araki, Naomi Uno, Touru... more
- Digimon: The Movie is a 2000 American film adaptation of the first three Japanese Digimon films distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film used footage from the films Digimon Adventure, Digimon... more