The best PG anime movies are great for audiences of all ages, unlike super violent animes such as Attack on Titan. They provide a great introduction for viewers that have never seen anime ever before, and don’t require a big time commitment like TV shows. When it comes to which PG anime movies are the best, the general consensus is that Hayao Miyazaki creates some of the best PG anime films of all time. But are his works really the best? See what anime and film fans think in the rankings below.
Certainly, Miyazaki is a prolific creator, with plenty of classic anime movies under his belt over the last three decades. If you’ve ever heard of the movies Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, or Castle in the Sky, then you’ve heard of Miyazaki’s works. He typically both writes and directs his movies, which gives him much more creative control than other film directors.
In fact, there’s a story of Miyazaki sending Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein a samurai sword accompanied with a note saying “No cuts” in regards to the North American adaptation of Princess Mononoke. The reason being that Weinstein has a reputation of heavily cutting and editing movies for the sake of budget. When Miyazaki was asked whether or not the sword story was apocryphal, he responded that it was true with the exception being that it was his producer that sent the sword and not himself. No matter who sent the sword though, at least American audiences had the opportunity to see the movie as it was intended.
But this list isn’t just about Hayao Miyazaki—there are plenty of other gifted anime film producers and directors. One in particular is Satoshi Kon, who unfortunately passed while in the prime of his career. If you are a fan of Kon’s films, then vote for his best movies below.
If you don’t see a particular film listed below that you think qualifies as being among the best PG anime movie of all time, then please add it. Also, use this list if you're looking for some new anime movies that are rated PG. Between Netflix, Hulu and other services there are thousands of great anime movies rated PG, so get out there and start watching.
- 1Spirited Away is a 2001 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki... more
- 2Howl's Moving Castle is a 2004 Japanese animated fantasy film scripted and directed by Hayao... more
- 3Castle in the Sky is a 1986 Japanese animated adventure film written and directed by Hayao... more
- 4Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is a 1984 Japanese animated post-apocalyptic fantasy... more
- 5My Neighbor Totoro is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao... more
- 6Ponyo, initially titled in English as Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, is a 2008 Japanese... more
- 7When Marnie Was There is a 2014 Japanese anime film written and directed by Hiromasa... more
- 8Wolf Children is a 2012 Japanese supernatural anime film directed by Mamoru Hosoda. After her... more
- 9Porco Rosso is a 1992 Japanese animated adventure film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki.... more
- 10Summer Wars is a 2009 Japanese animated science fiction film directed by Mamoru Hosoda,... more
- 11Digimon: The Movie is a 2000 American film adaptation of the first three Japanese Digimon... more
- 12Millennium Actress is a 2001 Japanese anime film by director Satoshi Kon and animated by the... more
- 13From Up on Poppy Hill is a 2011 Japanese animated drama film directed by Gorō Miyazaki, based... more
- 14Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Pyramid of Light, later released in Japan as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters:... more
- 15Astro Boy is a 2009 American-Hong Konger-Chinese computer-animated action film loosely based... more
- 16Jungle Emperor Leo, known in Japan as Jungle Emperor The Movie is a 1997 animated movie... more
- 18Dragon Ball Z: Broly – Second Coming, known in Japan as The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors... more
- 19Pom Poko is a 1994 Japanese animated fantasy film, the eighth written and directed by Isao... more
- 20A Letter to Momo is a 2011 Japanese anime drama film written and directed by Hiroyuki Okiura.... more
A Letter to Momo
- 21My Neighbors the Yamadas is a 1999 Japanese animated comedy film written and directed by Isao... more
My Neighbors the Yamadas