What is the best poem of all time? This list includes the best poems of all time such as "The Raven," "Daddy," "O Captain! My Captain!," and "I Hear America Singing." Poetry has captivated readers for centuries, and the poems on this list include modern classics as well as older poems that have stood the test of time.
Written works have the ability to make us feel. They make us want to believe, be inspired, and live vicariously through the stories we read on the page. Whether short or long form, poetry is often illusory, and full of rich imagery or hidden meaning. It is these elements which provoke readers to dig deeper. The best poems, like those on this list, are read throughout the ages. They are passed from generation to generation and taught throughout school to young students.
Poets and their poetry have the ability to take readers places and into worlds never imagined. Poets can often be tortured souls or great thinkers that allow the reader a new view on the world. The greatest poems on this list provide the kind of emotional connection to the written word that few other poems can.Vote up the all time best poems below or add the most famous poems you think are great if they aren't already on the list.
- 11,038210"The Raven" is a narrative poem by American writer Edgar Allan Poe. First published in January... more
- 21,081339"The Road Not Taken" is a poem by Robert Frost, published in 1916 as the first poem in the... more
- 4586169Sonnet 18, often alternately titled Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?, is one of the... more
- 8440136Shakespeare's Sonnets is a book with the complete collection of the 154 sonnets of William... more
- 9429200The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the longest major poem by the English poet Samuel Taylor... more
- 10292187"A Dream Within a Dream" is a poem written by American poet Edgar Allan Poe, first published... more
- 11318212"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", commonly known as "Prufrock", is a poem by... more
- 128333"Annabel Lee" is the last complete poem composed by American author Edgar Allan Poe. Like many... more
- 14212176"A Red, Red Rose" is a 1794 song in Scots by Robert Burns based on traditional sources. The... more
The Knight in the Panther's SkinShota Rustaveli
- 18199204"Invictus" is a short Victorian poem by the English poet William Ernest Henley. It was written... more
- 19402185The Divine Comedy is an epic poem by Dante Alighieri, begun c. 1308 and completed 1320, a year... more
- 20273133"She Walks in Beauty" is a poem written in 1813 by Lord Byron, and is one of his most famous... more
- 22269175"Kubla Khan; or, A Vision in a Dream: A Fragment" is a poem written by Samuel Taylor... more
- 24295206The Waste Land, by T.S. Eliot, is widely regarded as "one of the most important poems of the... more
- 25144166To His Coy Mistress is a metaphysical poem written by the English author and politician Andrew... more