Here is a list of the best movies about therapy and therapists ever made, ranked by movie fans just like you. This psychotherapist movie list is ordered by popularity, so only the greatest movies are at the top of the list. If there are any great movies about therapy you believe we missed, please feel free to add them to the list yourself. The films on this list are the most famous psychotherapist movies of all time, so use it to find some movies that you haven't seen already.
Click on these psychotherapist movie titles for more information about the films. This list is made up of many different items, including Good Will Hunting and The Three Faces of Eve, answering the questions, "What are the best psychotherapist movies?" and "What is the greatest movie about therapy?" Various bits of information are included with these popular psychotherapist movies, such as who directed them, when they were released and who starred in the films. Whether you're watching these psychotherapist movies on DVD, Blu-ray or streaming, these good psychotherapist movies can be enjoyed no matter what.
For TV shows with psychotherapists, check out this list of series with therapy scenes.
- When Randle Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) gets transferred for evaluation from a prison farm to a mental institution, he assumes it will be a less restrictive environment. But the martinet Nurse ...more
- Before going on vacation, self-involved psychiatrist Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfuss) has the misfortune of taking on a new patient: Bob Wiley (Bill Murray). An exemplar of neediness and a ...more
- Set in the changing world of the late 1960s, "Girl, Interrupted" is the searing true story of Susanna Kaysen (Winona Ryder), a young woman who finds herself at a renowned mental institution for ...more
- Will Hunting (Matt Damon) has a genius-level IQ but chooses to work as a janitor at MIT. When he solves a difficult graduate-level math problem, his talents are discovered by Professor Gerald Lambeau ...more
- After one of her patients threatens suicide, psychiatrist Margaret Ford (Lindsay Crouse) confronts the source of his anxieties, a downtown bookie named Mike (Joe Mantegna). Once she decides that Mike ...more
- A New York psychiatrist treating an emotionally scarred woman finds it helpful to discuss her South Carolina family's troubled history with the woman's twin brother. He and the psychiatrist find ...more
- Tormented by guilt following the death of his older brother, Buck, in a sailing accident, alienated teenager Conrad Jarrett (Timothy Hutton) attempts suicide. Returning home following an extended ...more
- The touching story of a sailor (Derek Luke) who, prone to violent outbursts, is sent to a naval psychiatrist (Denzel Washington) for help. Refusing at first to open up, the young man eventually ...more
- Suffering from headaches and inexplicable blackouts, timid housewife Eve White (Joanne Woodward) begins seeing a psychiatrist, Dr. Luther (Lee J. Cobb). He's stunned when she transforms before his ...more
- While a married couple (Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsbourg) is having sex, their infant son in a nearby room falls out a window to his death. She becomes distraught and is hospitalized, but her ...more
- When Nietzsche Wept is a 2007 independent American drama film directed by Pinchas Perry and starring Armand Assante, Ben Cross and Katheryn Winnick. It is based on the homonymous novel by Irvin D. ...more
- Mob boss Paul Vitti (Robert De Niro) is nearing the end of his term in Sing Sing, and the FBI agents monitoring him are baffled. Day after day they watch as New York's most notorious gangland figure ...more
- Dr. Martin Dysart (Richard Burton), a psychiatrist who has grown unhappy with his life, takes on the peculiar case of Alan Strang (Peter Firth), a reserved teenager who has been accused of brutally ...more
- Pretty and privileged Deborah (Kathleen Quinlan) is, at the age of 16, a borderline schizophrenic who spends most of her waking hours in a bizarre fantasy realm. After a failed suicide attempt, she ...more
- Special Treatment is a 2010 comedy drama film written by Jeanne Labrune and Richard Debuisne and directed by Jeanne Labrune.
- Stephen King tales follow a cat into a smokers clinic, onto a penthouse ledge and into a girl's (Drew Barrymore) bedroom.
- Col. Vincent Kane (Stacy Keach) is a military psychiatrist who takes charge of an army mental hospital situated in a secluded castle. Among Kane's many eccentric patients is Capt. Billy Cutshaw ...more
- When doctors tell a mob boss (Robert De Niro) that he is suffering from anxiety attacks, he seeks the help of Ben, a therapist (Billy Crystal), who is manipulated into treating him, with hysterical ...more
- Adam Lerner (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) has always tried to take good care of his health, so it comes as a cruel surprise when he learns that he has malignant tumors along his spine. His doctor gives him ...more
- A detective (Ethan Hawke) and a psychoanalyst (David Thewlis) uncover evidence of a satanic cult while investigating the rape of a traumatized teen (Emma Watson).
- Ruben Brandt, Collector is a 2019 Hungarian animated film directed by Milorad Krstic. A psychotherapist who suffers violent nightmares inspired by legendary works of art has four patients who are ...more
- A mad doctor (Oliver Reed) tries psychoplasmic therapy on a raging woman (Samantha Eggar) soon to be a mother.
- It's summer in New York City, the year is 1994, and teenage marijuana dealer Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck) is trading dime bags for sessions with his therapist, Dr. Squires (Ben Kingsley). Luke has girl ...more
- This dark ensemble-comedy is centered on the three Jordan sisters. Joy (Jane Adams) moves through lackluster jobs with no sense of purpose. Now employed teaching adults, she is dating a student, ...more
- In 1904 a Russian woman named Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightley) arrives at Carl Jung's (Michael Fassbender) clinic, seeking treatment for hysteria. Jung is eager to test Sigmund Freud's (Viggo ...more